1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What questions would you like Ryan Prior to ask Dr Kogelnik for his documentary?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    On his Facebook page for his Blue Ribbon ME/CFS documentary, Ryan wrote:

We will fly to California on Friday. Our first big interview is with Dr. Andy Kogelnik at the Open Medicine Institute. What should we ask him?

To make sure that he sees your question, post on that Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CFSDocumentary/posts/601335593230633

Firestormm likes this.
  2. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Why are you treating people with Rituximab outside of any clinical trial? :)

I'd like to know what he tests for prior to treatment. If he thinks some are suitable or not or if he treats anyone turning up and willing to pay for it.

Really, I'd like to hear an explanation. Not nastily. But I think one is overdue. It could even be asked along the lines of 'The Norwegian authors in PlosOne said that they wouldn't recommend treatment outside of a clinical trial - and yet we hear from your patients that you are clearly treating them with this drug. Can you explain why?'

Or something. Reposted on Ryan's Facebook page. Thanks Sash :)

Sasha likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Interesting question - I've been thinking more about that general issue after the FDA workshop where people on Ampligen were saying that the FDA should approve Ampligen for use in CFS and let patients make the decisions about risk.

Any more questions for Dr Kogelnik via Ryan, folks? He runs the Open Medicine Institute with the OMI-MERIT list of 10 priority projects, of course, and they've got their OpenMedNet 'big data' project coming up in a few months (in which patients can upload their data so we form a mass data pool for analysis).

4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I think that is an interesting question to ask but no necessarily within the documentary. I say that partly as it could become a dated question. However, a more general question framed around trying experimental treatments with patients outside the realms of clinical trials would be good, perhaps referring to Rituximab as an example. Lots of people are desparate and want to try anything they think shows promise and given there is no current treatment it is an important question to ask when is a treatment sufficiently established and safe enough for a doctor to give to a patient outside of a trial.

Kati, Valentijn and Sasha like this.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    a cure??? :lol:

What about sleep treatments and maybe xyrem or something similar being approved for cfs/me.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Good point - I think this is a general issue in medicine and a particularly pointed one for us, given that there are no FDA (or NHS) approved drug therapies aimed at the disease process itself.

Have you put that on Facebook?

I'm Facebook-clueless but if there's someone who can transfer questions over there for people who can't post themselves - or could post a message there pointing Ryan back to this thread - that would be great.

See more popular forum discussions.