1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Leptin
Andrew Gladman reflects upon the recent IACFS/ME conference and the buzz surrounding a small molecule, leptin.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What Peter White is teaching Medical Students on CFS via a chapter in a medical textbook

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    When I read that (fairly reasonable) section of the text i was pleasantly surprised, which softened me up so that I wasn't expecting the onslaught that came after it. The quoted section seems incongruous with, and contradictory to, the section about CFS so I reckon they were written by different authors or co-authors. (i.e. I reckon that Pete White did not write the intro re functional disorders in general, but only wrote the CFS section.) (I'm just guessing though.)
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Valentijn likes this.
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    @biophile. Great post. If you've got energy/time/inclination, I think you should consider taking up @Firestormm's suggestion of writing an article based on your post. (We can help you edit it, if you like.) (Just a suggestion - please don't feel any pressure about it.)
    Firestormm likes this.
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Occasionally I have a temporary crisis of 'faith' whereby I lose my sense of optimism about our direction of travel.
    This textbook section re CFS, along with some of the comments below this article (see comments by Mitchell Lawlor, under the article), have led to me to having such a reaction this week.

I was thinking of starting a thread asking people to remind me of all the positive things going on at the moment for ME/CFS, in order to renew my optimism for 2014.
    Edit: I've started a thread, here:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ve-things-happening-in-2014-for-me-cfs.27527/
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    leela likes this.
  4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

Maybe editors or reviewers put it in. It seems strange to say that as causes are known something will be reclassified and then to write about treatment on the basis of the classification that it will loose.
    Bob and Valentijn like this.
  5. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    If the rest of the medical book is good (which it is likely to be), they probably wouldnt worry and at the most just avoid teaching the ME/CFS part (if they were at all in the first place) if there had been too many complaints. Of cause that would mean that future medical people reading that book would still likely to see and probably read the ME/CFS chapter anyway.

I really think its at the republishing level.. it needs to be stopped. Medical books get updated all the time.
    Valentijn likes this.
  6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Dont loose hope, get ANGRY instead. If anything can help us start getting more involved in trying to change what we see and even if we are pushing ourselves over the edge to do it, its the drive of anger.

That is what finally made me do two petitions in the past week.

I too think the worst the issues are which are showing.. maybe the more easier it would be to prove...... if we went some strong routes to put a stop to it.

See more popular forum discussions.