• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What parts of a B Complex most often cause bad reactions for people?

bigmillz

In the past, I've found that something in Jarrow's B-Right and (way back before I learned anything about methylation) chain drugstore B-50 complexes caused me to become really agitated, without much gain in energy level. Thorne's B Complex #12 was the first one that didn't cause that sort of reaction, but it having folinic acid turned me off after I learned more about it. I'm currently using Douglas' B Complex with Intrinsic factor, and it seems (fingers crossed) to be working well:
61%2BkpTrfttL.jpg

So in my attempt to always do better, what generally causes poor reactions to a B complex, for most people? I know @Freddd is big on low dose B complexes, like the Nature Made. This has actually got me considering splitting the Douglas capsules in half to further reduce the dosage, while reaping the benefits of activated ingredients.

Thanks for your thoughts, and hope this helps someone someday!

PeterPositive

Those that have a stimulating effect on the nervous system had the strongest effect on me. B6 and B12 in particular.
Methylfolate is also known for causing over stimulation.

When I started taking B vitamins I had to start very low, but gradually I was able to tolerate them. I tried methylfolate much later when I was already taking regular doses and at that time it didn't bother me too much.

If you have had previous experiences of agitation/anxiety from a B complex I'd suggest to cut the dosage from that label by 10, at least...

good luck

ukxmrv

B6 isn't good for me.

plus smell the tablets if you can. Are they all yeasty or with a similar strong smell

bigmillz

Those that have a stimulating effect on the nervous system had the strongest effect on me. B6 and B12 in particular.
Methylfolate is also known for causing over stimulation.

When I started taking B vitamins I had to start very low, but gradually I was able to tolerate them. I tried methylfolate much later when I was already taking regular doses and at that time it didn't bother me too much.

If you have had previous experiences of agitation/anxiety from a B complex I'd suggest to cut the dosage from that label by 10, at least...

good luck

Thanks @PeterPositive, I seem to be doing a lot better this time around, taking it much more slowly. In the past I was playing with my regime every couple of days, and soon realized it was throwing me way off.

I'm currently trying to decide if I fare better with the Douglas B complex, which is all activated vitamins, with intrinsic factor, or the Thorne complex, which worked better than any B complex ever did for me, but does have folinic acid, and did seem to "poop out" after a few days. In hindsight, it could've been just the startup period, a need for more folate, potassium, etc that caused that. I'm a little hesitant to introduce folinic acid based on my MTHFS status:

MTHFS - ST20 MTHFS G39646A C CT +/-
MTHFS - ST20 MTHFS G56057A T CC -/-

B6 isn't good for me.

plus smell the tablets if you can. Are they all yeasty or with a similar strong smell

They have an odor, but I wouldn't call it yeasty or very strong. Definitely like a light chemical smell though.