1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What mg NAC?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by minkeygirl, May 13, 2014.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    I need to reorder my NAC and I'm not sure what dose to get. I have 600 mgs but I see 500 and 750?

I have not started methylation yet but will soon. I also take MB12 and HB12, 1000 mcg.

Also, is there a difference between different brands? I started with Life Extension but Now Foods is much cheaper.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Jarrow packs a good deal of NAC and they are usually reliable. NOW only works sometimes and life extension I havenĀ“t had good experiences with the brand although theorically they are very scientific and backed up.

My favourite brand is Dr Best which looks crappy and cheap but strangely enough all of their supps have worked for me, and I am the guy who has tried many pills that did not make the slightest difference.

It depends of the person and what you want to treat. For schizophrenia they use from 2 to 3 grams for example. I am going to do 2 or 1,5 grams when my supps arrive and see how it goes for sleep and energy.

whodathunkit likes this.
  3. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I looked at the Doctors Best but it has other stuff in it which I already take and the Jarrow caps are only 500 mgs vs the 600 I'm taking now. They have a 600 mg tablet I can't take tablets unless they are really small.

I think I'll order NOW from Pureformulas. That way if I have a reaction I can return it. I have not noticed any difference with the Life Extension.

4. Tunguska

Tunguska

I took NOW NAC 1200mg/day for 1.5 months, with food (high protein), closer to morning, and it made a difference (clearer head). In periods of stress like antibiotics, 1800-2400mg/day. There is no way I would have noticed a 100mg difference.

minkeygirl and Beyond like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I like the extended release from Jarrows. "NAC Sustain" I think. 600mg, and it lasts 6+ hours instead of 3 or so. It makes a big difference for me, since I use it to sleep ... if I take the regular stuff, my mind is buzzing halfway through the night, whereas the Sustain gives me a full night's sleep.

merylg and Little Bluestem like this.
  6. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    @Tunguska, I never noticed a difference when I was taking 1200 mgs/day.

@Valentijn I bought some Now Foods, I'll look into the Sustain but there may be budget constraints. I never noticed it helping my sleep but maybe the Sustain will.

7. zzz0r

zzz0r Senior Member

To all the people that are using NAC, have you noticed a difference with GABA, resveratrol and DIM instead of using NAC?

8. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Just realized I was having a bad reaction to the NOW NAC so that goes back. @Valentijn does the Jarrow sustained keep you drowsy in the morning?

Also how big are the tablets? I prefer caps.

9. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The NAC never makes me drowsy ... it just keeps my mind out of overdrive.

They're average sized. Not small or large. They taste fairly sour, but not nasty.

10. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Ok thanks. I'm kind of at my saturation point in taking stuff and to choke down a sour tablet? May send me over the edge. Is is sublingual? or do you swallow it?

11. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Swallow.

minkeygirl likes this.
  12. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Thanks. It may not be the NAC that is causing the problem. Time for an elimination of a few other things.

13. Mij

Mij Senior Member

What time of day do you take this? thx

14. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    For sleeping I need a dose shortly before bed time. But I also take it in the morning and afternoon, since my head otherwise tends to get too buzzy without it.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  15. Tunguska

Tunguska

Odd how it affects people differently. I have to take NAC in the morning and mid-day because it has more of an energizing effect; taking at night contributes to restlessness. Analogously other people report B12 gives them energy while it helps put me to sleep. You never know what to expect

16. minkeygirl

Left Coast
  17. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Those are both the same thing - the red label is their newer one. But identical products.

minkeygirl likes this.
  18. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Yes, Jarrow has changed their labels in an attempt to confuse me. None of their products look like I expect now. :rolleyes:

Valentijn likes this.
  19. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Amazon has the red label on subscribe and save which makes it the cheapest I've found. I had a bad reaction to the Now Foods NAC.

See more popular forum discussions.