• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What med do you use for your ME Headache

Justin30

Hi,

Just wanting to get some feedback as to what people use for their ME headaches.

I just took 2 avil it didnt even touch it.

Thanks, looking forward to your responses.

halcyon

Advil works for mine about 95% of the time, especially if I take it at the very first inkling that a headache is coming on. Ideally I would use Excedrin but I can't tolerate caffeine now.

Crux

Excess production of nitric oxide (NO) / peroxynitrite is associated with some headaches, migraine, etc.

I've taken a variety of antibiotics to lower this inflammatory process. I first learned of this when @Sushi posted about rifaximin alleviating her migraines.

Forever, I am grateful to Sushi.

B12, is a peroxynitrite scavenger and an NO inhibitor.
Melatonin is an NO inhibitor.

These are my most effective interventions, so far.

rosie26

I couldn't take anything for my headaches because I would get an even worse headache the next day. It wasn't worth getting rid of it for one day - those rebounds were really bad. I found a cold flannel on my forehead for 3-4 hours in the afternoon to evening did the best job. The nausea lessened a lot and my sore neck and head felt much more comfortable for sleeping.

Last edited:
Just wanting to get some feedback as to what people use for their ME headaches.
If it's the chronic/constant pressure headache, 1 gram of high EPA/DHA fish oil three times per day (3 grams total daily) does it for me. It takes about 24 hours to start working, and the headache comes back after a similar amount of time if I forget to take a few doses.

ahmo

Mine also seem very much related to NO. I use a variety of antioxidants. Coffee has become a real help, I now drink 2 cups regularly, on bad days I have a 3rd. I tried aspro the other day, which worked for me some years ago, but no more salycilates for me. good luck.

jstefl

I suffered with terrible headaches for 17 years. I woke up feeling great pain, and pretty much lived with it all day long. Tylenol had very little effect.

This all changed when I started Valcyte. I took Valcyte for 10 Months back in 2008, and felt relief within a week. By the time I had finished with the Valcyte, my headache situation had improved significantly. I still have a constant but dull headache, and Tylenol removes most of the pain. I haven't had a really severe headache since I started the Valcyte.

Now, I have occasional days that I don't feel the need for pain killers at all.

Valcyte fixed many other problems for me as well. It has been the most helpful treatment that I have found for my illness.

bertiedog

No medication ever touched my headaches--nothing. Then they disappeared after treating the gut with rifaximin as Crux mentioned.
I wish it had done this for me as I can get almost daily migraines and get into phases when they come daily. I know my gut isn't right and have had a month's treatment with Rimfaxamin at 600 mg daily but my gut symptoms have come back.

It's so frustrating but I am pleased for you Sushi. I am positive the gut thing is huge.

Pam

Ninan

So, elevated NO can cause headaches. But there are a few articles online about NO supplements (inhaled) lowering intracranial pressure. Then shouldn't it help against headaches? Any ideas?

I'm trying to figure out what's going on in my brain when B12 doesn't work. It feels like increased pressure (leading to vasoconstriction?) but elevating BP helps a bit.