Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What med do you use for your ME Headache

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Justin30, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Hi,

Just wanting to get some feedback as to what people use for their ME headaches.

I just took 2 avil it didnt even touch it.

Thanks, looking forward to your responses.

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Advil works for mine about 95% of the time, especially if I take it at the very first inkling that a headache is coming on. Ideally I would use Excedrin but I can't tolerate caffeine now.

Justin30 likes this.
  3. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Excess production of nitric oxide (NO) / peroxynitrite is associated with some headaches, migraine, etc.

I've taken a variety of antibiotics to lower this inflammatory process. I first learned of this when @Sushi posted about rifaximin alleviating her migraines.

Forever, I am grateful to Sushi.

B12, is a peroxynitrite scavenger and an NO inhibitor.
    Melatonin is an NO inhibitor.

These are my most effective interventions, so far.

ahmo, Justin30 and Sushi like this.
  4. Firefly_

Firefly_ Senior Member

Oklahoma, USA
    Advil or tramadol

Justin30 likes this.
  5. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    No medication ever touched my headaches--nothing. Then they disappeared after treating the gut with rifaximin as Crux mentioned.

Crux, merylg and Justin30 like this.
  6. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Anybody try Lyrica for headaches?

7. adelheid55

adelheid55 Senior Member

Hi,
    yes, me. But I have to take it with Celebrex (Celecoxib). Paracetamol or Ibuprofen don't help at all.

Justin30 likes this.
  8. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    Advil

Justin30 likes this.
  9. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

I couldn't take anything for my headaches because I would get an even worse headache the next day. It wasn't worth getting rid of it for one day - those rebounds were really bad. I found a cold flannel on my forehead for 3-4 hours in the afternoon to evening did the best job. The nausea lessened a lot and my sore neck and head felt much more comfortable for sleeping.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  10. kangaSue

kangaSue Senior Member

Brisbane, Australia
    A low dose of mirtazapine can be an effective treatment for headaches. It can help with g.i. dysmotility at the same time too if it's a problem.

Justin30 likes this.
  11. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Senior Member

12. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

If it's the chronic/constant pressure headache, 1 gram of high EPA/DHA fish oil three times per day (3 grams total daily) does it for me. It takes about 24 hours to start working, and the headache comes back after a similar amount of time if I forget to take a few doses.

Justin30 likes this.
  13. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Mine also seem very much related to NO. I use a variety of antioxidants. Coffee has become a real help, I now drink 2 cups regularly, on bad days I have a 3rd. I tried aspro the other day, which worked for me some years ago, but no more salycilates for me. good luck.

Crux likes this.
  14. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Mmm, coffee good. Do you still drink green tea ? good too

15. jstefl

jstefl Senior Member

Brookfield, Wisconsin
    I suffered with terrible headaches for 17 years. I woke up feeling great pain, and pretty much lived with it all day long. Tylenol had very little effect.

This all changed when I started Valcyte. I took Valcyte for 10 Months back in 2008, and felt relief within a week. By the time I had finished with the Valcyte, my headache situation had improved significantly. I still have a constant but dull headache, and Tylenol removes most of the pain. I haven't had a really severe headache since I started the Valcyte.

Now, I have occasional days that I don't feel the need for pain killers at all.

Valcyte fixed many other problems for me as well. It has been the most helpful treatment that I have found for my illness.

16. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I wish it had done this for me as I can get almost daily migraines and get into phases when they come daily. I know my gut isn't right and have had a month's treatment with Rimfaxamin at 600 mg daily but my gut symptoms have come back.

It's so frustrating but I am pleased for you Sushi. I am positive the gut thing is huge.

Pam

17. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Yes. I drink green tea early AM, and later PM.

Crux likes this.
  18. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

So, elevated NO can cause headaches. But there are a few articles online about NO supplements (inhaled) lowering intracranial pressure. Then shouldn't it help against headaches? Any ideas?

I'm trying to figure out what's going on in my brain when B12 doesn't work. It feels like increased pressure (leading to vasoconstriction?) but elevating BP helps a bit.

See more popular forum discussions.