A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What means high iron saturation?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by jason30, Dec 10, 2015.

1. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Hi all,

Yesterday I found out that I have a high iron saturation. My value is 51%. I have read that above 45% is high saturation.
    My doctor says it's perfect and nothing to worry about. But as always, I don't trust him.

Does someone knows more about high iron saturation?

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Reference ranges for males can go up to at least 50%.

3. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Thanks Jonathan.
    That would make my value almost 'normal'. Though, I'm curious to know if a value of 51% could give some complaints. Because when I google the symptoms then I have some similarities:

It's probably hard to define if the high iron saturation contributes to my complaints or not. I'll guess I have to try to lower the iron saturation (if possible) and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again!

4. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

You might want to talk to a doctor about possibly getting your ferritin level tested if you haven't already. That may be another important piece of the puzzle.

5. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

@Jonathan Edwards -- My understanding is that if someone has hemochromatosis, both their iron saturation AND their ferritin would be abnormally high. Is that accurate?

6. RYO

RYO Senior Member

USA
    Yes, both iron saturation and ferritin (total body iron stores) are elevated. There is a genetic test for hemochromatosis. Above mentioned complications usually occur after years of iron overload. Most doctors uncover disease during workup of abnormal liver enzymes or hypogonadism.

greeneagledown likes this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is usually, but not always, correct.

8. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Thanks everyone, next week I have an appointment with the doc to ask for a research of the ferritin level.
    I'll will post an update once I get the results.

9. jason30

jason30 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Hi everyone, the blood result of the ferritin level is: 120 ug/L (range: 0 - 250).
    My doc says it's perfect.

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.