• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What means high iron saturation?

jason30

Hi all,

Yesterday I found out that I have a high iron saturation. My value is 51%. I have read that above 45% is high saturation.
My doctor says it's perfect and nothing to worry about. But as always, I don't trust him.

Does someone knows more about high iron saturation?

jason30

Thanks Jonathan.
That would make my value almost 'normal'. Though, I'm curious to know if a value of 51% could give some complaints. Because when I google the symptoms then I have some similarities:

What are the symptoms of iron overload, hemochromatosis?
A: Patients can have iron overload and NOT have symptoms (asymptomatic) and that is the best time to diagnose the patient. Many doctors have been taught to look for "signs and symptoms" of HH but by the time symptoms appear, it is often too late to save the patient's life. Iron overload and storage in vital body organs can damage and may cause:
  • chronic fatigue (the most common complaint by patients);
  • cirrhosis/cancer of the liver (with or without a history of alcohol use);
  • arthritis/joint pain;
  • impotence/sterility/infertility; early menopause/irregular menses;
  • hair loss;hair thinning
  • diabetes (bronze diabetes, a darkening, graying of the skin not caused by sun exposure);
  • cancer (cancer thrives on iron); (especially primary liver cancer)
  • abdominal pain/swelling;
  • weight loss;
  • frequent colds/flu/infections, compromised immune system;
  • headaches;
  • hypothyroidism; (low thyroid)
  • heart irregularities/heart failure/heart attack (especially in younger men);
  • cirrhosis of the liver (with or without a history of alcohol use);
  • hepatoma/liver cancer (the leading cause of death in HH);
  • premature death.

It's probably hard to define if the high iron saturation contributes to my complaints or not. I'll guess I have to try to lower the iron saturation (if possible) and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again!

greeneagledown

You might want to talk to a doctor about possibly getting your ferritin level tested if you haven't already. That may be another important piece of the puzzle.

RYO

Yes, both iron saturation and ferritin (total body iron stores) are elevated. There is a genetic test for hemochromatosis. Above mentioned complications usually occur after years of iron overload. Most doctors uncover disease during workup of abnormal liver enzymes or hypogonadism.

jason30

Thanks everyone, next week I have an appointment with the doc to ask for a research of the ferritin level.
I'll will post an update once I get the results.

jason30

Hi everyone, the blood result of the ferritin level is: 120 ug/L (range: 0 - 250).
My doc says it's perfect.