• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What kind of treatment does Dr. Meirleir advocate?

Hey Beets, have they given you any treatment for Yersinia? I also have this infection, and from what I've read, 3 weeks of antibiotics (typically Cipro) when you fall ill can save you 3 months or more of antibiotics later.

3 weeks of cipro...yikes. Hopefully, there are other antibiotics they can give before having to resort to fluoroquinolones??

Bansaw

Hi.
i am a patient.
diagnosed with lyme and chylmedia co infection.
demeirleir does extensive stool test and microbiome. Also he does food allergy etc.
I am curious as to what he prescribed you @gregh286 as I had a disease akin to Lyme called Rickettsia Mooseri (Endemic Typhus). Is it pretty much centered on rebuilding the gut, fixing possible leaky gut, getting the right bacteria levels in there and a special diet based on food allergy?
God willing, I will be able to see him someday. I visit the UK sometimes and might pop across to Belgium.
Also, I hear he sees patients in Nevada.

Daffodil

@andrie ..my illness began EXACTLY the same as yours with the cognition going almost overnight. I have been seeing demeirleir for almost 3 yrs and am better. I got sick in 1993.

if antibiotics help, there is a good chance you have some kind of bacterial infection.

I have seen many CFS docs and demeirleir is the cheapest by far.

frederic83

Hello all!

I would like to know, for the patients that are seeing Dr. Meirleir and that are treated for a CFS related to an enterovirus infection (Coxsackievirus B or echovirus), what kind of treatment does he propose? Oxymatrine? Herbs?

Is he aware of Dr Chia's work on enterovirus?

Thanks

Fred

msf

If you watch one of his YouTube series videos (it has a dutch name that I would never be able to spell, but it is easy to find), he mentions Chia´s work but points out that Enterovirus was found in 20% of controls too. He suggests that this means that it is unlikely to be the underlying problem in these patients. I think he sees herpes viruses in the same way, but his views on all this might have changed since the videos were made. In general, he tries to treat the underlying problem (be it intracellular bacteria, gut dysbiosis or other immune dysfunction) itself rather than all the secondary problems, but then this is what Chia does with Oxymatrine, as far as I am aware. I have not heard of him prescribing Oxymatrine, but he does prescribe other things to strengthen the immune system in some patients, I believe.

frederic83

Thank you @msf. I know that he tests his patients for enterovirus too. I would like to know, when there are no other underlying infections, what kind of treatments does he propose?
I'm going to take a look at the youtube videos.

msf

I think he will treat any gut dysbiosis or other immune dysfunction he finds. If he doesn´t find anything, I imagine he would refer you to another, non-ME doctor.