When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What kind of Magnesium best

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Catjbro, May 16, 2016.

1. Catjbro

Catjbro

Canada
    hi
    For muscle tension what kind of magnesium is best, and how much? Thanks

2. Deltrus

Deltrus Senior Member

I use magnesium citrate and it works well. For magnesium it is very important to split up the doses to 100 mg at a time and take them throughout the day. If you take too much at once then the small intestine can't absorb it fast enough and magnesium then causes diarrhea in the large intestine. 400 mg is a good maintenence dose of magnesium, but higher doses are possible if you are deficient. Also high b6, and vitamin d levels are absolutely essential for magnesium absorption.

I also used the liquid elemental magnesium, I found that it absorbed much quicker. It is a bit more expensive though.

Each Day and Catjbro like this.
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I used mg malate for several years, now using mg glycinate, I seem to need less. For some time I used mg oil, made it myself, but needed too much to make it worthwhile.

Catjbro likes this.
  4. J4son

J4son

Hey do you have any experience on this?How much should I wait between each dosage?I tried chellated magnesium from solgar , it seemed to work in start but then it caused me diarhhea.I was taking 400mg(4 tablets) every few hours.
    How do you know the intestines cant absorb more than 100 mg at a time?

5. Shoshana

Shoshana Northern USA

Northern USA
    400mg every 4 hours seems too high to me. And that it caused diarrhea would also indicate it was too much.

Also, I am told that magnesium citrate is actually a better one for countering constipation,

while I am told that magnesium taurate is better for muscles, pain, etc..... and that info seems correct for me, from my own trials.

If I couldn't find it, I would also think mag malate or glycinate or chelate are worth a try.

That liquid form mentioned above sound like a good option to try, especially for people who cant swallow large tablets.

Any type is easier for the body to use, than the cheapest form which is easiest to find, the most common one in stores, but not helpful, is magnesium oxide. I personally would not take anything with it.

Added note: I agree with next post that mag taurate might help with sleep. Many minerals (calcium, magnesium... ) are often split during day doses, but weighted to take more of the daily dose, later in day, for that reason, to aid sleep.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. gettinbetter

gettinbetter Senior Member

San Francisco Bay Area
    I don't know if this is the best but I use Mag taurate at night for sleep

7. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    I take Magnesium Glycinate . Generallly I take 240 mg in the a.m.............and 240 mg in the p.m.

8. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I use Ease spray. It’s the only one that doesn’t sting me.

I’ve also done mag sulfate in the nebulizer a la Myhill.

See more popular forum discussions.