A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What Is Your Body Temperature? Rethinking 98.6

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by leelaplay, Dec 29, 2009.

?

What is your average body temperature?

1. Above 99.2 (37.3 C) - I have high fevers most of the time

10 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. 98.6-99.2 (37-37.3 C) - I tend to run a low grade fever

30 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. 98.2-98.6 (36.8-37 C) - My body temperature is in the normal range

12 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. 96.2-98.2 (35.7-36.8 C) - I tend to have a slightly lower body temperature

197 vote(s)
    65.2%
  5. Below 96.2 (35.7 C) - Brrrrrrrr!!!!

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. My temperature fluctuates throughout the day &/or changes daily

31 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Get naked, lol !

2. StrivingOn

StrivingOn

BTW to save a new reader delving through the previous 5 pages here, body temperature is far more complicated than people think. The normally-quoted 98.6F/37C is highly-misleading as that will vary by time of day (I vary by 1.3F/0.7C), gender (particularly as a woman's temperature varies substantially over her menstrual cycle), and age, even before we consider the issue of what is a normal range around the average.

So, for the 296 people who have ME/CFS, joined this site, read this thread and answered the survey, their body temperature is normally lower than the accepted norm. Even allowing for the self-selection involved, this suggests to me that there is some link, either because people with a low body temperature are more vulnerable to ME/CFS or because ME/CFS produces a lower body temperature.

My waking oral body temperature is typically 96.7F/35.9C and averages 1.6F/0.9C lower than published detailed averages at any time of day, which seems to fit the pattern here. At one time I thought this was significant as a lot of articles suggested that low temperature was as sure sign of thyroid problems; however, my blood tests were well within accepted ranges, albeit away from the average (higher TSH, lower T3, lower T4), and I noticed no difference to how I felt and my body temperature after self-medicating with Thyroid S for 2 months.

For the want of any evidence to the contrary, I've pencilled in low body temperature as a symptom of ME/CFS rather than a symptom of something else that causes or contributes to it.

Mel9 likes this.
  3. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Most of the time I take my temperature, it runs from 94.5 to 97.4. I think this is part of the pattern of "low and slow" in this illness. In me (ME), everything seems to run low and slow--temperature, immune system, energy, thought and memory, recovery--you name it.

Dechi, Mel9 and MeSci like this.

See more popular forum discussions.