• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Is Your Body Temperature? Rethinking 98.6

What is your average body temperature?

• Above 99.2 (37.3 C) - I have high fevers most of the time

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 98.6-99.2 (37-37.3 C) - I tend to run a low grade fever

Votes: 34 9.8%
  • 98.2-98.6 (36.8-37 C) - My body temperature is in the normal range

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • 96.2-98.2 (35.7-36.8 C) - I tend to have a slightly lower body temperature

Votes: 227 65.6%
  • Below 96.2 (35.7 C) - Brrrrrrrr!!!!

Votes: 24 6.9%
  • My temperature fluctuates throughout the day &/or changes daily

Votes: 35 10.1%

• Total voters

jimells

I've long wondered if my frequent nightsweats are a fever or something else, so I finally bought a thermometer yesterday and set it next to the bed. Imagine my surprise when I woke up early this morning, hot and sweaty as usual that time of time, and my temp. was only 96.2! What in the world is going on that I could be so cold and feel so hot?

A few hours (and a coffee) later my temp was up to 97.4, and of course I no longer felt hot. At noon I went outside to shovel a tiny bit of the two feet (60 cm) of snow we received overnight. A half-hour later I was done in, and my temp went even lower, at 95.6, while I'm peeling off clothes 'cause I'm too hot!

In a way, it's not a wonder no one believes my symptoms, including the doctors. Hells Bells, I can't believe them myself o_O

Rolo

Too ill to twist
I've long wondered if my frequent nightsweats are a fever or something else, so I finally bought a thermometer yesterday and set it next to the bed. Imagine my surprise when I woke up early this morning, hot and sweaty as usual that time of time, and my temp. was only 96.2! What in the world is going on that I could be so cold and feel so hot?

A few hours (and a coffee) later my temp was up to 97.4, and of course I no longer felt hot. At noon I went outside to shovel a tiny bit of the two feet (60 cm) of snow we received overnight. A half-hour later I was done in, and my temp went even lower, at 95.6, while I'm peeling off clothes 'cause I'm too hot!

In a way, it's not a wonder no one believes my symptoms, including the doctors. Hells Bells, I can't believe them myself o_O

Your story is actually very similar to mine. Low body temperature when feeling hot, high body temperature when feeling cold. I also have problems with these night sweats. I also call them pressure sweats, because I only sweat at body parts where some pressure is applied. I suppose bad blood flood cause these.

Al Klein

I have underactive thyroid (Hashi's) and was so used to seeing a low temp.

Now I have brought my iron levels up and am supplementing with B12 (jarrows Methyl 5000 - I know, but its working for me) plus the right amount of T4/3 my temp is at last an almost perfect 98.6, down to 98.2 but I dont see 97 at all.

If I take too much T3 it tips over towards 99

Maybe the average temp has gone down from 98.6 to 98.2 because PEOPLE ARE NOT being diagnosed with thyroid, B12 deficiency etc etc!!!!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I selected 'I tend to have a slightly lower body temperature' as this range is where mine usually falls, but while getting up this morning it was 35.4. I wasn't feeling cold. My temperature doesn't seem to correspond with feeling hot or cold, at least not today or yesterday. Yesterday I had 36.0 during a hot flush, today 36.4 during one.

I usually live in the low to mid 97's. I recently had a terrible cold with sweats, chills, aches..I felt febrile, but my temp was only 96.4. I just decided I was morphing into a reptile. Interesting to know this is common here.

L'engle

moogle
35.5 -36.5 for me right now. I'm somewhat anemic in the last month though. I would like to raise my average temperature so it is at least over 36.

rosie26

I don't understand how when I am hot, really hot, the skin on my stomach is very cold ? very weird.

MeSci

I don't understand how when I am hot, really hot, the skin on my stomach is very cold ? very weird.

I get different temperature perceptions in different parts of the body too.

Something very unusual has happened today. Having had a low temperature since getting ME - as far as I know - today it tested twice as 37.9 degrees C! Yesterday it went as low as 35.3.

I have quite a bad headache, ditto yesterday, and felt unusually ill yesterday. Feel pretty lousy today to due to the headache. I rarely get them.

Could this be the first fever since getting ME?

rosie26

I get different temperature perceptions in different parts of the body too.

Something very unusual has happened today. Having had a low temperature since getting ME - as far as I know - today it tested twice as 37.9 degrees C! Yesterday it went as low as 35.3.

I have quite a bad headache, ditto yesterday, and felt unusually ill yesterday. Feel pretty lousy today to due to the headache. I rarely get them.

Could this be the first fever since getting ME?

I hope it passes soon MeSci and you feel back to your better self again. :cat:
Remember to use cold compresses on your forehead to get the heat out of your head, it will ease the nausea too.

MeSci

I hope it passes soon MeSci and you feel back to your better self again. :cat:
Remember to use cold compresses on your forehead to get the heat out of your head, it will ease the nausea too.

Thanks, Rosie. Much better today...so far.

I was actually feeling cold at times. I had thought that if it was an infection breaking through I might need to throw everything I could at it, including fever. Whilst 37.9C is not dangerously high for a normal person, it is certainly more than this ME body is used to, and maybe it was just struggling to cope due to unfamiliarity/maladaption.

Due to some of the other symptoms I am going to see if I can get a brain scan - well - going to see the doc next week in the hope he will suggest it anyway! It might be very interesting.

MeSci

Broke my record for low temperature this morning - 34.8 degrees C! Not as low as some have reported, but was feeling really cold and have had to put on several more layers of clothing. Not something I expect to have to do in Cornwall in May!

tinacarroll27

I have never understood why I have a low body temperature about 96.5 yet I feel as if I've got a high temperature all the time. In fact in the past when ever I got the flu my temperature would drop not go up. I have always assumed it's because my immune system isn't working properly but now I associate a low body temperature with mitochondrial failure of some type.

I have never understood why I have a low body temperature about 96.5 yet I feel as if I've got a high temperature all the time. In fact in the past when ever I got the flu my temperature would drop not go up. I have always assumed it's because my immune system isn't working properly but now I associate a low body temperature with mitochondrial failure of some type.

Exactly the same here! I always feel like I'm running a temp but it's always lower than normal. I even feel clammy sometimes but it's still below normal. Really strange.

Mel9

I was 34.6C yesterday morning and this morning I am 36.2C. All over the place! When measured by my GP yesterday evening I was normal (36.6) by ear digital instrument. Has anyone investigated differences between mouth and ear temperature?

Freddd

I just have to laugh, at myself. I used to have all sorts of uncomfortable temperature fluctuations, got terribly cold while sleeping and used an electric blanket near the high end for decades. I haven't had a fever since early 2003. The only thermometer I have currently is a mercury anal/oral/underarm. I think I used it once since I healed and didn't have a fever. Mine runs around 98.+ orally. Takes me back to when my kids were young and the new hot thing was underarm temperature.

Freddd

I have underactive thyroid (Hashi's) and was so used to seeing a low temp.

Now I have brought my iron levels up and am supplementing with B12 (jarrows Methyl 5000 - I know, but its working for me) plus the right amount of T4/3 my temp is at last an almost perfect 98.6, down to 98.2 but I dont see 97 at all.

If I take too much T3 it tips over towards 99

Maybe the average temp has gone down from 98.6 to 98.2 because PEOPLE ARE NOT being diagnosed with thyroid, B12 deficiency etc etc!!!!

I'm glad the Jarrow is working for you. I have had a lot of comments that MeCbl affects th thyroid. The thyroid gland has a high (relatively) level of working B12 in it. It would likely be mostly AdoCbl in the mitochondria supplying on the spot ATP. It might affect things more than the MeCbl. Both are essential along with Methyl and L-carnitine. Having the right form of carnitine the one that works best for the body, fumarate, ALCAR or freebase. It promotes healing in some tissues. It allows growth of muscle. I had 50 pounds of atrophy over the years which grew back. Also, promotes energy production and bone strength. I've been on thyroid hormone of some kind for the past 61 years.

Dechi

I have trouble regulating my body temperature. I can become cold for many hours for no apparent reasons (one very cold hand, often the left one). Also, when I feel an emotion, I get very warm in a matter of seconds. I then take one layer off until I cool down, which might take 20 minutes or more.

My temperature fluctuates between 95.4 and 99 F (35,2 to 37,2 C) and what's funny is I can't seem to find a correlation between my temperature and being hot or cold when I take it. Weird, but what isn't with this illness ?

Kenjie

What is best way to cool off from a hotflash?

Water only lasts so long before body constantly pees and flushes it out and get hot again!