Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What is this horrible metallic taste??

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by juniemarie, Sep 3, 2010.

1. juniemarie

juniemarie Senior Member

Albuquerque
    Rich I will look into this test, my only concern is if I do have high levels of some metal what then? Is there anything to be done about it? If not seems like the info wont really help.

2. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Juniemarie.

There are several chelating agents available for various metals. I think the first step would be to find out whether your level of any of the metals is elevated. Then, if one is, you can look at the available chelators to see which would be the best to use.

Best regards,

Rich

3. pken

pken

There was an interesting piece on television here in the UK about people who consumed pine nuts getting a metallic taste in their mouth that could last for weeks after they stopped consuming them. Maybe there's something like that involved?

4. juniemarie

juniemarie Senior Member

Albuquerque
    pken Oddly enough I live in N.M. where pinon(pine nuts) is abundant and extremely popular. Sold onthe side of the rd certain times of the year........I cant stand them and never eat them.

5. DCinWV

DCinWV

I get a terrible taste in my mouth. Sometimes it tastes like metal. Usually it progresses till nothing I eat tastes good. Sometimes it gets so bad I can't eat anything. You might read this http://www.webmd.boots.com/oral-health/guide/metallic-taste-bad-taste I Didn't really see anyone else mention this but but when I start having problems I start taking 50-150 mgs of zinc a day and usually it takes care of it within a week or two. I take the zinc for about a month or so and then stop until I start having problems again.

Hope this helps.

6. erin

erin Senior Member

Metallic taste started last night and it is driving me crazy. I've not been well for a month anyway but now this is making me very sick. I am panicking because of this. My tongue is slightly swollen and my throat is very dry. I have a pain in my throat. I feel shivery too.
    I take euthyrox 50mg, beta blocker 25mg every other day and vitamin D. I eat gluten free. Please, any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  7. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

erin likes this.
  8. erin

erin Senior Member

I have drastically reduced them from 50 mg to 12.5 mg.

I feel so bad, I'm now in panic and crying. It feels so wrong, so worrying.
    I am reading the medication prospectuses and vitamin D; calcitriol can cause this. I hope its only this otherwise I'll be worrying about thyroid cancer or something serious.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  9. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I don't think you should worry, as these are widely recognized side effects from this medication.

erin likes this.
  10. erin

erin Senior Member

I feel so unwell, I have fever too.
    Anyone any suggestion?
    Feel quite desperate really.

See more popular forum discussions.