1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME/CFS that the world needs to know? Severe ME Day

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Legendrew, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @jimells Thank you for your eloquence.:hug:

jimells, horcrux and rosie26 like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

There it is.

At a personal, emotional, philosophical level, I can handle anything nature throws at me. Nature can be hard, but it is not malicious.

But I have great trouble handling the foul and often malicious shit society throws at me in relation to this disease. That is where the real isolation and suffering come from. That is what breaks your spirit.

Tito, jimells, WillowJ and 3 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Using Peterson's estimate: Nineteen million patients world wide. Every year they experience a years worth of torment and suffering. So that is nineteen million person years of suffering, every year, for people with a disease that is being ignored. Even in the US alone that is a million years of suffering per year, presuming the one million estimate. If its really four million ....

Wildcat, catly, WillowJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    In one sense, it matters which estimate, but in another way, it doesn't matter. All people with ICF are treated the same as us: "you don't belong in the doctor's office, go see a shrink or handle it yourself". Regardless of whether they have ME, MS, cancer, hypoparathyroidism, or whatever: they are not getting any help. No "fatigue" patient is.

(Edit: this is a generalization, representing a common scenario. Of course some patients get diagnosed eventually, but there is a staggeringly huge number of undiagnosed and misdiagnosed patients who present with fatigue and/or describe weakness which gets brushed off as 'just another case of common fatigue')

Until someone gets their feet off the desk and goes to work telling doctors why and how to diagnose patients more carefully, and finding the funding to do research for ME properly, this situation will continue.

People will suffer. Every minute of every day. Some will die.

And as has been said, great talent will be lost to the world (not that all of us are talented, but out of so many, surely some are talented scientists, mathematicians, engineers, economists, etc.). We are shut up in our houses or rooms, without proper care, unable to finish school, go to work, or even have normal social lives (just a little, mostly through our computers, except the most ill of us).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Wildcat, ahmo, Gingergrrl and 2 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The not-quite-so-ill patients do get to have some limited life on the computer, like I do. The really severe do not. They are cut off. This should never be forgotten.

6. Legendrew

Legendrew Content team

UK
    Thanks for all the great responses. I've begun compiling the responses and writing the article and will continue to do so over the next week. There's still time to make your response if you haven't gotten around to it!

Sean and Gingergrrl like this.
  7. Dr.Patient

Dr.Patient There is no kinship like the one we share!

USA
    That suicide, though often contemplated, does not happen among us who are still alive, because we have neither the strength nor the planning to carry it out.

Severe ME patients.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    It happens all too often.

Sushi

rosie26, WillowJ, SDSue and 3 others like this.
  9. Dr.Patient

Dr.Patient There is no kinship like the one we share!

USA
    Edited

10. bailey2

bailey2

Severe ME can be long term and progressive. My experience is one akin to living in solitary confinement in increasing pain with little hope of reprieve during my lifetime.

11. soxfan

soxfan Senior Member

North Carolina
    That most of us go to bed a perfectly healthy person and get up the next day will an illness that immediately changes our life and those around us forever...

None of us would chose to stay home during family gatherings...outings...social events...it is the fact that we would suffer major consequences if we did and those people would not see us suffering and crashing afterwards.

If you go to your doctor and have been a previously healthy person during the prior 25 years then we are NOT suddenly "depressed"..."need a vacation"...have "empty nest syndrome"...."need to exercise more"....the list goes on.

Many of us in the early years of illness try to push on in order to keep some sort of life style that we previously had. We don't want to disappoint others or tell our co-workers that we have CFS because their first thoughts would be that they are tired too....

12. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member

N.Ireland
    Indigophoton likes this.
  13. Amused

Amused

UK
    For me it's the uncertainty. It's a fluctuating illness, so coping strategies that worked last year, last month, last week or even a couple of hours ago, suddenly stop working, and you can't rely on your mind or your body to do what it could do before, never mind what you want it to. And a severe relapse is unpredictable, uncontrollable and absolutely terrifying.

Sean, rosie26, Snowdrop and 2 others like this.
  14. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    The mountains of ridiculed abuse we take on a daily basis from "main stream" medical "professionals" who are supposed to be there to help us..........

Nothing drains hope faster,nothing, including our sickness..........

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Sean, Keela Too and geraldt52 like this.
  15. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    ^
    Edited:
    added "Main Stream"

See more popular forum discussions.