• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the most absorbable zinc supplement?

I just learned that I have zinc deficiency, even thought I've been taking a 22mg zinc picolinate tablet every day for years. Clearly, it is not being absorbed. I am thinking that maybe a liquid supplement would be better absorbed, but would like to see if anyone has any suggestions on a particular supplement or brand. Metagenics makes a product called Zinc Drink, which is zinc sulfate. BrainChild Nutritionionals makes a zinc in colliodal form. I'm not sure which form of liquid zinc is most easily absorbed or if the liquid form is even better than capsules.

Thanks

hixxy

Have you been tested for pyroluria? Pyroluria will increase excretion of zinc in the urine. Also, correction of a deficiency of zinc will probably take a higher dose than 22mg / day.

I have pyroluria and am constantly battling to keep my zinc levels up. Sometimes my zinc taste test seems to improve only to get worse again for no reason. I've found it best to take zinc 2 - 3 separate small doses a day than a single large dose.

hixxy

I just messages OptiZinc manufacturer to see if they can point to any studies comparing it's effectiveness to the alternatives. No doubt it will be biased (sigh), but I couldn't see anything else at a glance (I don't have the motivation to more than glance :))

Thanks for the replies. I had never heard of Pyroluria -- is it common in people with CFS? Hixxy82, what form of zinc does your healthcare practitioner have you taking for this? What dosage are you taking?

I found some OptiZinc online (Douglas Labs capsules), so I can try some of that. I'm thinking about also getting a liquid zinc or other form of it and taking both, in case one is absorbed better.

I just messages OptiZinc manufacturer to see if they can point to any studies comparing it's effectiveness to the alternatives. No doubt it will be biased (sigh), but I couldn't see anything else at a glance (I don't have the motivation to more than glance :))

Thanks, hixxy82! That's a great idea. Please let me know what you find out.

hixxy

Thanks for the replies. I had never heard of Pyroluria -- is it common in people with CFS? Hixxy82, what form of zinc does your healthcare practitioner have you taking for this? What dosage are you taking?

I found some OptiZinc online (Douglas Labs capsules), so I can try some of that. I'm thinking about also getting a liquid zinc or other form of it and taking both, in case one is absorbed better.

I take 1 cap of Thorne - Trace Minerals (15mg of zinc citrate in each) at each main meanl, and 30mg of zinc picolinate at bed time.

Gavman

Pyroluria seems to be causal in slowing one of the methylation cycles. The major indicators i found with myself (i have been tested by pfeiffer institute too) were light skin pallor, being lean and malabsorption. I heart zinc.

hixxy

The fact of the matter is that pyroluria in itself could contribute to the collapse of the methionine cycle as well through drastrically impairing glutathione synthesis and therefore taking antioxidant cover away from b12. As Dr Yasko likes to say, a defect in one part of the cycle will have flow on effects throughout the rest.

I will say though, that I don't believe pyroluria is genetic. I think it's a result of a chronic infection. Even Dr Klinghardt has mentioned this possibility. Don't ask me to dig up a reference though! :)

Gavman: Hoe are you finding your pyroluria treatment? Managing to get your zinc levels up? I'm completely unable to tolerate much B6 supplementation. My pyroluria treatment mid 2010 actually triggered off the worst of my neurological problems.

Calathea

1. How sure are you about the deficiency? Who diagnosed it, how, and what have they suggested as a solution? (Not meaning to doubt your word, but some nutritional tests are more reputable than others, and a few are dodgy beyond belief.)

2. Excess copper is meant to interfere with zinc absorption, so how much copper are you getting? Don't fret if you have a copper IUD, the idea that there is enough copper in that to mess up your zinc levels is a myth.

3. I'd also look into other reasons why you are still low in zinc despite using a reputable supplement, as everyone's suggesting above. It may be that you don't get on with picolinate, or it may be something else.