1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What is the current NHS service provision for patients severely affected by CFS/ME (McDermott et al)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/4/6/e005083.full

Sidereal, Valentijn, biophile and 2 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The review history is available for this online. I read it quickly and found nothing of interest in it (sometimes I find these interesting to read to see what points reviewers disagree with or suggest be made), so I wouldn't recommend people spend their time on it.

Here are the two reviewers and the interests they declared:

Simon, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Doesn't sound like they're missing out on much, especially as a lot of CFS centres seem to be pretty quacky in what they do provide.

While I'm really sympathetic to those seriously ill patients who just feel abandoned, at the moment, I'd be concerned that any attempt to roll out greater 'service' to them would just lead to them having to endure quackery. FINE is the only trial to have really looked at the severely affected, and found that providing 'pragmatic rehabilitation' to patients led to no improvement in reported symptoms, and problems with the therapists blaming patients for this. Seems crazy to increase spending by the NHS on 'services' which have no evidence of real value while so many of the severely affected are having to endure real hardships on account of the DWP's recent biopsychosocial reforms to the welfare system and cost cutting. To improve people's quality of life, probably better to give them money rather than those working for the NHS.

Sidereal, Wildcat, Ritto and 7 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks. Really good idea to make these reviews public though - love it.

Dolphin likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I didn't find this to be a very interesting article at all.

None of the debates that exist in the field are discussed.
    All respondents seem to have said they're following the "party line" e.g.

No biological findings are mentioned that I recall.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Bob and Valentijn like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This is the context in which everyone said they were operating:

Simon and Valentijn like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some of the figures and tables contain most of the information (but it's still not that interesting, I thought)

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Here's a factoid:

However, I'm not sure how interesting this is as some people stay as cases for years, while others get discharged.

Valentijn likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They say they're doing another paper on the survey data:

Maybe this will be more interesting, maybe not.

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    When I saw this title, I thought it would be about NHS provision of all types of medical care for severely affected PWME - that is, can we access services when specific, non-ME things go wrong with our bodies? Can we get dentistry, gynaecology, oncology - anything - that we need, if we're bedbound?

Valentijn likes this.
  11. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Medical care at home wouldn't fit into the psychiatric model advocating minimal doctor visits. They just want more funding so they can ridicule and torture patients at home now too.

Sidereal and Wildcat like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I know of one patient in the UK who got home "help" with cleaning. Even this was tainted though, as "help" consisted mostly of harassing her to do more, with the idea that more activity is better. The effects of the NICE guidelines go even outside the traditional medical model.

Bob, Wildcat and Valentijn like this.
  13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    But not everyone buys into the psychiatric model. I'd like to see some sensible researchers doing some research on whether patients' medical needs are being met.

Whether one attributes ME to organic or psychosocial factors, there's nothing about having it that prevents one from having dental problems, getting cancer, having gynae problems, any of this other stuff.

Bob and Wildcat like this.
  14. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

When I was in that state, my worst fear was that those "services" would one day show up at my door.

Dolphin, Sean and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.