• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is chronic fatigue syndrome, and why aren’t we doing more to treat the illness? Washington Post

Soundthealarm21

By Julie Rehmeyer October 6 at 5:59 PM
Eight years ago, collapsed on a neurologist’s examining table, I asked a naive question that turned out to be at the center of a long-running controversy: “So what is chronic fatigue syndrome?” I had just been diagnosed with the illness, which for six years had been gradually overtaking me.

“We don’t understand it very well,” my neurologist said, his face blank. He could recommend no tests, no treatments, no other doctors. I came to understand that, for him, the term chronic fatigue syndrome meant “I can’t help you.”

Click the link at the bottom for the meat in between.

These disputes are heartbreaking when the needs of CFS patients are so great. Even the high-quality treatment I got from Klimas helped me only slightly. A year after I saw her, I heard from some patients who had significantly recovered from CFS through assiduously avoiding exposure to mold and other environmental contaminants. Although I considered the theory wacky, I was desperate enough to experiment. And for me, it worked. Two years later, I can go running, write articles and travel with my new husband. Every time I do, it feels like a miracle.

But I don’t think it is. My recovery has almost certainly come through physiological changes in response to my avoiding mold.

Copy pasta from http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...fff312-d458-11e3-8a78-8fe50322a72c_story.html

Last edited:

Simon

What an excellent piece. I think it's great we have a successful science writer, Julie Rehmeyer, writing in The Washington Post about the illness. She covers the controversy around the P2P and IOM contracts, and includes this gem about the lack of NIH funding:
The National Institutes of Health spends only $5 million a year on CFS research; by comparison, it spends $3 billion on HIV/AIDS research (which, like CFS, affects about a million Americans). Mariela Shirley, an official at the NIH Office of Research on Women’s Health, says funding is determined by the number of researchers in a field, their experience in competing for NIH funding and other factors.

What is chronic fatigue syndrome, and why aren’t we doing more to treat the illness? - The Washington Post

Last edited:

Cheesus

I improved enough to work a little bit, and it was a tremendous relief to have a knowledgeable and compassionate doctor behind me. Still, Klimas (who also treats HIV/AIDS) says that if she had to choose between having HIV and having CFS, she’d unquestionably choose HIV.

That is of no surprise to me whatsoever.

Battery Muncher

Haven't read it yet, but I notice that this is ranked #5 in the "Most Read: National" news on the Washington Pot website!

So hopefully this is garnering some attention. I don't know if it's mentioned in the article, but this could be a great opportunity to push the Lipkin Microbiome Project! :thumbsup:

Forbin

Mariela Shirley, an official at the NIH Office of Research on Women’s Health, says funding is determined by the number of researchers in a field...

Talk about a Catch-22. The level of funding is dependent upon the number of researchers in the field... but researchers will go where the funding is, so the number of researchers in the field is dependent upon the level of funding.