• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is "bactericin"? is it a natural antibiotic produced by friendly microbes?

Aileen

Last week I tried Kefir (fermented milk similar to yoghurt) for the first time. The one I bought is an organic product produced on a family farm. In addition to 3 specific LAB strains, it includes "lactic ferment" which contains various beneficial bacteria also containing bactericin.

I have never heard of "bactericin". Has anyone tried it or know anything about it?

I have been taking 3 tbsp of this kefir daily for a week and despite my inability to tolerate most foods and supplements, I am doing fine with it so far.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
looks like it's a toxin made by bacteria that stops other, similar, bacteria, from growing or kills them. I guess it would help the bacteria that makes it to establish dominance in its environment.

Depending on whether it's active against harmful bacteria or other beneficial bacteria, I don't know whether that's good or bad. Might depend on what's growing in your GI tract.

E coli seems to make bactericin, and it's a normal part of intestinal flora.

Apparently, some bactericins kill E coli, some kill staph, etc.