Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What is "bactericin"? is it a natural antibiotic produced by friendly microbes?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Aileen, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Last week I tried Kefir (fermented milk similar to yoghurt) for the first time. The one I bought is an organic product produced on a family farm. In addition to 3 specific LAB strains, it includes "lactic ferment" which contains various beneficial bacteria also containing bactericin.

I have never heard of "bactericin". Has anyone tried it or know anything about it?

I have been taking 3 tbsp of this kefir daily for a week and despite my inability to tolerate most foods and supplements, I am doing fine with it so far.

2. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    looks like it's a toxin made by bacteria that stops other, similar, bacteria, from growing or kills them. I guess it would help the bacteria that makes it to establish dominance in its environment.

Depending on whether it's active against harmful bacteria or other beneficial bacteria, I don't know whether that's good or bad. Might depend on what's growing in your GI tract.

E coli seems to make bactericin, and it's a normal part of intestinal flora.

Apparently, some bactericins kill E coli, some kill staph, etc.

SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.