Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What is "bactericin"? is it a natural antibiotic produced by friendly microbes?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Aileen, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Last week I tried Kefir (fermented milk similar to yoghurt) for the first time. The one I bought is an organic product produced on a family farm. In addition to 3 specific LAB strains, it includes "lactic ferment" which contains various beneficial bacteria also containing bactericin.

I have never heard of "bactericin". Has anyone tried it or know anything about it?

I have been taking 3 tbsp of this kefir daily for a week and despite my inability to tolerate most foods and supplements, I am doing fine with it so far.

2. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    looks like it's a toxin made by bacteria that stops other, similar, bacteria, from growing or kills them. I guess it would help the bacteria that makes it to establish dominance in its environment.

Depending on whether it's active against harmful bacteria or other beneficial bacteria, I don't know whether that's good or bad. Might depend on what's growing in your GI tract.

E coli seems to make bactericin, and it's a normal part of intestinal flora.

Apparently, some bactericins kill E coli, some kill staph, etc.

SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.