• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is actually meant by the term "Detox" on PR?

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati I am confused about this part as my former ND had recommended a food plan for me based on the items that I tested as extremely high inflammation on a food sensitivity test by US Biotek Labs (which is supposed to be a very reputable test.) She never used the word detox but my understanding was that 80% of our immunity is in the gut (I think why Dr. Lipkin wants to do the microbiome study?) so if we can reduce inflammation in the gut, it can improve our immunity.

Before I started her food plan, back in June, I had nausea all day long and diarrhea 5-6x a day where I was afraid to leave the house or be away from a bathroom. The food plan along with probiotics and digestive enzymes were nothing short of miraculous for me and now I am able to add most of the foods back in (in moderation) except gluten which I eliminated b/c of Hashimotos. For me, doing things to help my GI system have also allowed me to tolerate meds and supplements that I could not tolerate before.

I guess I am confused what following a food plan has to do with detox? I am glad I started this thread and was really in the dark on this topic (and never meant that anything food related was a "cure"- just something to improve symptoms.) Also, Dr. Wahls book is based around foods that you can eat to help improve symptoms. I know it is for MS and not ME but I think it has some good ideas in it.

Look, detoxing usually implies diet changes or heavily restricted diets. juicing as you mentioned. organic food and what not.

As I have said before my choices to not believe this nonsense roots from my mother who underwent all kinds of alternative therapies following her cancer diagnosis including detox, fastings, crazy diets and everything in between she didn't make it. I have no trust whatsoever in naturopaths and books like Dr Wahls, and in my eyes she is in the same category as Dr Oz. i was absolutely offended when a physician (Dr B) actually recommended I see a naturopath especially in the light of my history with my mother which she knew about.

I am glad you have made progress. However I remain skeptical that dietary changes alter the course of this disease just like I have great doubts that our diets as a whole made us sick to start with.

We absolutely need solid science and solid medicine.

Gingergrrl

@Kati I just wanted to clarify that I am actually not pro or anti-detoxing and started this thread just to gain an understanding of what the term means (not to convince anyone of anything and have no agenda!)

I knew it was most likely an alternative medicine practice and if I am using any of the techniques (i.e. dietary changes) it is in addition to seeing solid mainstream doctors and not as a substitution or replacement. I think there is value in both but that is just my opinion and some alternative practices have brought me great symptom relief.

I agree with you that we need solid science and solid medicine to solve this illness which is why I am working so hard to help the End ME/CFS Project and their team of scientists.

I just read a lot of terms on PR, and I have no science background, so I ask a lot of questions to help me gain an understanding of what others are talking about (so I can make informed choices on all issues.)

I am very sorry about your mother and nothing I can say here will be adequate except that I am truly sorry for your loss (and this is above and beyond any conversations about different treatments on PR.)

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
I would like to add that microbiome research is still in its infancy. In the HIV population research has shown microbiome changes and suggestions of gut inflammation. However progress is being made in that population with ART, which also alters the gut microbiome. So, which is which, chicken or the egg?

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati I just wanted to clarify that I am actually not pro or anti-detoxing and started this thread just to gain an understanding of what the term means (not to convince anyone of anything and have no agenda!)

I knew it was most likely an alternative medicine practice and if I am using any of the techniques (i.e. dietary changes) it is in addition to seeing solid mainstream doctors and not as a substitution or replacement. I think there is value in both but that is just my opinion and some alternative practices have brought me great symptom relief.

I agree with you that we need solid science and solid medicine to solve this illness which is why I am working so hard to help the End ME/CFS Project and their team of scientists. I just read a lot of terms on PR, and I have no science background, so I ask a lot of questions to help me gain an understanding of what others are talking about (so I can make informed choices on all issues.)

I am very sorry about your mother and nothing I can say here will be adequate except that I am truly sorry for your loss (and this is above and beyond any conversations about different treatments on PR.)

No worries @Gingergrrl. I totally inderstand that the way I view alternative medicine is altered due to my personal experiences and i am aware of my extremist views in that regard. In general i can very much respect other people's own practices however I worry when I see that becoming public policy (for instance a health care program that has a holistic and integrative view) or when the P2P recommends involvement of alternative and complimentary medicine.

Like I said on my other post, we need sound science and sound medicine.