The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What is a disease? Perspectives of the public, health professionals and legislators (includes CFS)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., May 13, 2016.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

What is a disease? Perspectives of the public, health professionals and legislators

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/6/e001632.full.pdf html

Participants were asked about their views on chronic fatigue syndrome.[​IMG]
    Opinions are divided on CFS. Note how similar the views are on work exhaustion. Nurses clearly consider work exhaustion to be more of a disease than CFS, although CFS has fewer people overall that strongly disagree with the idea that it's a disease. Members of parliament are more likely to view CFS as disease, about 2/3 expressing agreement with the idea.

This study was conducted in Finland so the results may not be generalizable to other countries.

Attached Files:

Dolphin, Mark, Roy S and 5 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I find it striking how mental health conditions are seen as more of a disease than CFS. So much for Wessely and colleagues beliefs that patients choose the CFS label to avoid the stigma of psychiatric diagnosis.

Dolphin, *GG*, mango and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.