Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What is a disease? Perspectives of the public, health professionals and legislators (includes CFS)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., May 13, 2016.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

What is a disease? Perspectives of the public, health professionals and legislators

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/6/e001632.full.pdf html

Participants were asked about their views on chronic fatigue syndrome.[​IMG]
    Opinions are divided on CFS. Note how similar the views are on work exhaustion. Nurses clearly consider work exhaustion to be more of a disease than CFS, although CFS has fewer people overall that strongly disagree with the idea that it's a disease. Members of parliament are more likely to view CFS as disease, about 2/3 expressing agreement with the idea.

This study was conducted in Finland so the results may not be generalizable to other countries.

Attached Files:

Dolphin, Mark, Roy S and 5 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I find it striking how mental health conditions are seen as more of a disease than CFS. So much for Wessely and colleagues beliefs that patients choose the CFS label to avoid the stigma of psychiatric diagnosis.

Dolphin, *GG*, mango and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.