1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"What if We Held Psychotherapy to Same Standards as Medication?" (James C Coyne blogpost from 2012)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

James C Coyne is a bit of an interesting psychologist - a bit of a renegade as he asks searching questions of psychology.

This is particular piece I'm referring to:
    so not new.

This touches on some issues I explored in my paper

about trying to make sure similar standards are applied to nonpharmacological therapies as pharmacological therapies

e.g.
    and

He makes some other interesting observations also on the comparison between antidepressants and psychotherapies for depression.*

*Note: my main interest in this is not to do with the specifics of the debate about how to treat depression, but just general issues for when pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies (such as CBT and GET for ME/CFS) are compared.

WillowJ, Esther12, Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Esther12 and Tom Kindlon like this.
  3. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

I get the feeling that James C Coyne would giggle at the SMC's press release that claimed the PACE Trial (a non-blinded trial which tested therapies that had different levels of encouragement and optimism and attempts to alter patients subjective perceptions about their symptoms) was extremely rigorous and the highest grade of clinical evidence conducted in the same manner of a drug intervention study.

Sean, Tom Kindlon, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  4. biophile

It is also worth pointing out that reviews of treatments for CFS tend to exclude or frown upon non-blinded trials. If such reviews placed the same standard for CBT/GET, the "evidence base" would basically vanish.

WillowJ, Sean and Tom Kindlon like this.
  5. biophile

6. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Certainly does.

Biased framing and priming are powerful disinformation techniques, as the BSP crowd know full well.

See more popular forum discussions.