• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What if ME is simply brain damage after encephalitis?

unto

I've been reading a lot since I've been sick and this makes the most sense to me. I don't want it to be true since it's very scary, but it seems to be the simplest explanation (Occam's razor).

I wouldn't make such a claim without well reasoned points so bare with me. And please show me why I'm wrong because I really don't want this to be true.

By the way I'm talking about just post infectious cases not others that get lumped in because they have similar symptoms.
  1. It seems like there are several of the same viruses involved that attack the brain (herpes, enteroviruses) that cause ME and other more recognized encephalitis cases
  2. Rest is important to recovery early on because the brain needs rest to heal before the stem cells die. I think this is true in stroke and concussion
  3. Most adults don't fully recover after a couple years because adult brains don't heal after a certain amount of time. This is not seen in children and they seem to recover more often
  4. Damage to a specific part of the brain (middle and brain stem) would explain all the numerous symptoms and systems affected including the hormone, immune, and metabolic abnormalities
  5. Infections, inflammation, and autoimmunity can be involved and improving those issues can cause varying levels of symptom improvement. But they are almost never completely curative due to the permanent brain damage
  6. People can get permanently worse when they exert because they put more strain on already overtaxed braincells causing them to give out like in post polio. Or they get worse after a new virus because the virus goes to the brain and does more damage.
  7. The ME brain research from Stanford and Japan showing big brain problems
If all this is true, then maybe the only possible future total cure stem cells or genetic modification.

That's scary because maybe all these researches are not looking in the right place by looking at all the "down river" effects of brain damage or the viruses that cause the damage.

Just my rambling thoughts. Hopefully the many people on here smarter than me can tell me why I'm wrong!

- Sarah

I think the damage, at 90%, is functional;
At the beginning, 32 years ago, I had a sweaty sweat between my shoulders and my head making me vulnerable to the wind because it easily caused me sore throat / loss of voice, ears and headaches ...... it was A slight influence I thought.

Today these disorders I have learned to avoid them, but if I had to live like before ME would easily come back .........; I believe it is indicative of the persistence of the infectious agent in those tissues ........ and therefore theoretically releasing the neuro-muscular tissues of the neck, the brain, and those of the throat, should make us feel healthy again...

Last edited:

unto

Patient-derived stealth adapted viruses induce illness when inoculated into cats
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8821627). The pathology is systemic, but major manifestations are primarily neurological, including pain, photophobia, and reclusive behavior. The brain differs from other organs of the body in having spatially distributed functions. Consequently, unlike other organs, the brain cannot easily compensate for limited, localized tissue damage by developing heightened activity elsewhere in the organ.

The brain pathology in the inoculated animals is similar to that seen in humans in whom CFS progressed to severe encephalopathy (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8856789). There is cellular vacuolization, occasional syncytia and stainable, intracellular and extracellular materials (ACE pigments).

The inoculated animals clinically recover from their illness in spite of there being no inflammation.

I owned 3 dogs 2 two cats in more than 30 years of ME,
In all I noticed the signs of the disease, especially in the last dog that at 6 years was suppressed because it could no longer feed; A sterilized female at the age of 1 year; Following sterilization, the (virus?) Is located in the Pelvic Floor and causes a chronic pelvic peritonitis (diagnosed in autopsy) at the end
Had a very large chest and a lower abdomen reduced

to study the dogs and the cats possessed by the sick of Me, or to inoculate commodities of the blood coming from the sick of Me could bring shortly time to know the eziologia of the Me