1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What has helped more with your sleep?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Beyond, Nov 1, 2013.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I am also trying the hc in the morning and phosphatidyleserine again at night with melatonin to correct cortisol rthym. Im also trying to increase energizing neutrotransmitters with different amino's and other supps for noradrenaline(acetyl tyrosine), dopamine(dopa macuna), acetylcholine(alpha gpc). Im still cycling different sleep meds and im sleeping well but unsure if its what im doing or just going through a good sleep pattern, i am struggling to wake up though.
  2. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    aaahrhg it happened again - 10 lines of useful info typed out and the screen froze and my message was lost - no drafts are saved !!!! I am about to give up!

frustrated
  3. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    I do not even need that much - bite ff the tiniest amount you can with your teeth..

if that does not work in 20 mins repeat

that usually does it - drink with warm water for best results and something to push it down like an l-tryptophan cap o an l-theanine capsule

Ally
  4. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Hahah no kidding, it happens to me too. Actually often, cuz I have some threads on forums that are rare (I am lucky to have developed chronic pelvic pain and other things). One of the most depressing things, when you google and find yourself. See that desperate guy´s thread? Wait, he is me!

I am male and I agree. Plus, from my experience in bodydbuilding forums, when you are a chronic case (which means most of hormones out of whack), playing with one or two often just stirs the mess more.

I will cure my adrenal fatigue if I am lucky and nothing else is hindering the recovery just following the typical protocol of Dr Wilson. That makes sense instead of popping hormones that my body should be producing at 22 years old.
    Allyson and heapsreal like this.
  5. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Hey, just wanted to update that definetely one of the things I take before sleep makes ge get to sleep in 30 minutes more less. Plus I definetely feel a lot more relaxed so is not some kind of placebo. I take 6 mgs of melatonin sublingual, 400 mgs of pharmaGABA and 1000 mgs of glutathione reduced. Yeah I decided to take a lot of everything to see if these work at all lol Bad news is that I still wake up several times per night (one after 5 hours of course) and I still wake up unrested. Anyway, I also have gotten two very detailed and entertaining dreams, I like that.
  6. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Gluten-free, low-grain, low-sugar diet, perhaps also supplements I started as part of this leaky-gut diet, and better pacing. Over-exertion makes my sleep worse about 2-3 days later as part of PEM.

I do still take mild sedatives for sleep, rotating them so I never take anything more than 4 days in a row without a break. I have an 8-day rotation system using paracetamol-and-codeine, one of 3 different sedating antihistamines, and melatonin.
  7. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    As you are asking @Sparrow I thought I would let you know which melatonin I use - it is this one.

I don't find it enough on its own but take it with paracetamol-and-codeine or a sedating antihistamine. I'm not 100% sure that it helps (much) but the fact that melatonin boosts cortisol seems a good reason to take it anyway!
    Beyond likes this.
  8. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Anything that boosts cortisol is good MeSci... well except things like cocaine and getting punched in the face of course :rofl:
  9. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    The evidence I have come across states that melatonin increases cortisol, but maybe not in everyone, e.g. see here. Where did you hear that it decreases it?
  10. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Yes - I am not keen on either of the latter!
  11. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I take it about 4 hours before bedtime! Several meds take a long time to start working in me. Sedating antihistamines do as well, but codeine makes me sleepy within half to one hour.
  12. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I doubt whether many people with ME just sit around doing nothing or not much - we tend to overdo things if anything!

I don't think that I have observed any difference in sleep quantity or quality related to activity levels except that they are much worse when I have overdone things 2-3 days earlier.

But it appears we are all different!

I wonder whether you have a diagnosis of ME/CFS? I see you have only been ill since January 2013.
  13. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Just noticed that all 3 people whose messages I have seen with a positive experience of 'sleep hygiene' are male. Significant?
  14. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I wouldn't go that far. Addictiveness varies between people for different drugs. I took benzos during (EDIT) three periods of my life and had no problems stopping. I took them for months each time. The last time I did find myself very tempted to increase my dosage, but used as much willpower as I could whilst keeping my distress levels just about manageable.

I have been addicted to other things - tobacco and amphetamine - but was able to use both occasionally afterwards without any tendency to move towards addiction again.

Context can be important for addiction, and individual variations in neurotransmission are also likely to be factors, such as size of synaptic gap, levels of neurotransmitter and expression of receptors.

I do agree with your general points about benzos though - best avoided if possible except maybe for very short periods. I was one of the lucky ones. They can be very addictive and extremely hard to come off. As we have a chronic illness that is at the root of our sleep problems, a drug that is only suitable for short-term use would appear to be inappropriate.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  15. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I think this is a very perceptive and thoughtful summary.

I just tried to find a good review of benzos, and this one may be of interest. It also looks at 'Z drugs'.
    zzz likes this.
  16. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I tried a herbal sedative (I think it was a Potter's one) years ago, which contained valerian, passiflora and some other things (chamomile?). It gave me a headache and a fuzzy brain.
  17. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    As well as the diet and sedatives I have mentioned, I find that if I allow myself to look at the vague shapes that are visible after I close my eyes, watching them as they move and change, resisting any urges to analyse or influence them, I can drift off quite quickly. It is easier if you look at a light for a few seconds just before switching it off, as the shapes are then brighter and easier to see. Sometimes they seem to disappear, but they come back.

I also find that having the radio on can help me to drift off.

Before the diet and supplements improved my sleep so much, I used to watch kaleidoscopic videos, which helped, but my eyes got tired before my brain, which was frustrating.

Thanks to the diet and supplements, I usually fall asleep quickly now. I wake several times to urinate, but usually get back to sleep quickly.

If I have over-exerted, or am especially anxious about something, I have the problems of getting to sleep, getting back to sleep and waking early that others mention, and which I used to have almost every night.
  18. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    I never felt anything at all from valerian, pasiflora and the such.
  19. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    May I ask what you take aspirin for? AFAIK it has no sedating properties. I haven't heard of bread protecting the stomach either, and many people with ME find that reducing the intake of grains improves their health, including me, and that includes my sleep. Cutting out gluten and reducing grains and sugar is thought to improve gut health, which in turn can reduce the autoimmune activity which may cause ME.
  20. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    The Potter's passiflora that I provided a link to only contains passiflora extract as an active ingredient.
    But we probably all react differently to herbal products. What helps one person won't necessarily help another.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Allyson and MeSci like this.

See more popular forum discussions.