1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What has helped more with your sleep?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Beyond, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Izola

Izola Senior Member

2. Izola

Izola Senior Member

Would you pick me up a tea kettle on the way back from the doctor. The spaghetti noodle spin is interesting. I'm just used to the hypothesis that I have dead mice with squirmy maggots up there. Oh, that makes me want to barf.

You got me interested in the methylation cycle. (My spelling is general and usually wrong.) thanks Iz
  3. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Ginkgo Biloba makes my sleep slightly more refreshing and makes dreams more numerous and clear. Kind of melatonin.
    Izola likes this.
  4. Izola

Izola Senior Member

Beyond: Thanks for cranking up my memory. I used to use Ginko, but as I slid down hill I lost a lot on the way. Take care. Iz
    Beyond likes this.
  5. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Even if you sleep horribly, getting some dreams back is nice ;) Living all the time the waking nightmare of being ill is overwhelming, some oniric facades feel refreshing. For one, I am not ill in my dreams!:angel:
    Izola likes this.
  6. Izola

Izola Senior Member

You've been reading my mind. ;) Yes, sir, it's whooping better to have nice dreams esp. when you are not sick in them.:D:sleep::sleep::balloons::balloons::sleep::lol::cat::angel: Now that was an unusual dream. Made no sense at all!!o_O:rofl:
    Beyond likes this.
  7. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    BTW, some other people report better sleep/dreams with Ginkgo. I use Dr Best brand. I trust this brand after a few good experiences. They are legit. This supplement is dirty cheap and I will be taking it probably for the rest of my life lol (also helps with my pelvic pain).
    Izola likes this.
  8. Singout

Singout

@Sparrow: thanks for recommending the Douglas melatonin. It doesn't "knock me out" but seems to be working better than other OTC and dx things I've tried!
    Beyond likes this.
  9. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Yep I am using it. It doesn´t help much, but enough to continue using it.
  10. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I'm glad that it helped. We can all use every little bit we can get.
    Singout likes this.
  11. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    It boosts dreams and nightmares a lot, have you people noticed that? Dreams are sometimes amazing, however the upgraded nightmares can take their toll on sleep quality at times.
  12. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    Just learned that the antibodies to gluten also block the transfer from glutamate into GABA.
    Leaving ones brain with too much glutamate (*boing! boing!*) and not enough GABA (zzzzz...)

source: http://neuroendoimmune.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/is-gluten-making-you-overstimulated/

PS not to say there's only one cause for our sleeping problems, far from it! If you read my blog post now that I'm healing you'll notice I think there are at least 7 major factors colliding before something like sleepproblems or ME occur.

But I do believe our neurotransmitters are at the cause of not sleeping through the night and many things influence them, gluten being one of them. (others being: progesterone, cortisol, day time stress, blood sugar imbalance, insulin resistance, MAO A mutation to name just a few)
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  13. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

so a gluten allergy or eating too much gluten or wheat could cause a sleep disorder?
    I take klonopin and gabapentin and am going to start prazosin
  14. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I've not had gluten for about 5yrs now and still need zopiclone to sleep, ongoing major problem for me. I wish it were just a simple connection with gluten.
  15. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    Amitriptyline WILL knock you out.....

It comes in 5mg dose (which is plenty for the average person)

all the way up to 150mg (which will even knock a freak like me out)

Yes I am on the max 150mg dose..

I still awaken every 2 hours but I can go right back to sleep most of the time.......

Put it this way, the only drug more powerful than Amitriptyline for sleep is

Xyrem and anesthesia itself...
  16. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Amitriptyline did nothing for me but doxepin did and worked for a few years.
  17. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I once took amitriptyline for severe back pain, the side effects were worse than the pain. I don't do well with drugs.
  18. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i think everyone has their poison?????
    SDSue, Little Bluestem and maryb like this.
  19. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    heapsreal likes this.
  20. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    Amitriptyline gave me side effects as well.mostly horrible
    drive you insane feeling in legs(RLS on steroids)

Gabapentin gave me super insomnia...

So I decided to take a combination of

Gabapentin and Amitriptyline to off set the side effects

and it worked!

Amitriptyline stopped the super insomnia and put me to sleep at desired time
    Meaning It works well if taken 4 to 5 hours before bedtime then it practically paralyses me,lol..

Gabepentin took the horrible feeling away from my legs
    and stopped my chronic nausea....
    without it I have 24/7 365 days of nausea-...

Tramadol helps with CFS/ME/Fibro associated pains

Max dose 100mg 4x a day.........

See more popular forum discussions.