1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What has helped more with your sleep?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Beyond, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Be it methylation, wheatgrass fermented juice, amber glasses, or an allopathic drug... what has helped you to get less insomnia, less awakenings and most importantly a better rest? :sleep::sleep::sleep:... :cautious:
    Singout, Izola, Allyson and 1 other person like this.
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    The only thing that has ever helped me sleep is Trazodone. But even with that I wake almost like clockwork at 3 a.m. I actually feel pretty ok with this. The few times I've slept straight through, and wake around 5:30 a.m I feel like garbage.

I've been trying on and off for years to try to find a lot of other things to try. Nothing OTC has helped at all and so far I'm batting zero with RX's. They either drug me or make me feel like I"m on speed.

Someone on another forum said the funniest thing about sleep. He said "I make chamomile tea in a cast iron teapot and then bash myself in the skull with it." Hahaha I still laugh every time I read that!
    SDSue, zzz, NK17 and 9 others like this.
  3. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    lol Minkeygirl when nothing else works you can always try some violence... Well I took Trazodone of course, had to try right? Well I got a full week of sore throat and two days of flu malaise. Quite scary.

I don´t know what that stuff does to me but googling it I have found others reacted the same, painful sore throat and sometimes flu symptoms!... And no help with sleeping. So odd.
    merylg likes this.
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I think we are all so different. I know people who can't tolerate it either but I'd be sunk without it.

Lots of people here like Baclofen, I felt like I was on speed with it. Seroquel drugged me for 24 hours, along with elavil and I forget what else.

It's all trial and error for us.
    Izola, merylg and Beyond like this.
  5. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Baclofen looks cool. Anything that is pro-GABA is cool in my book. I am severely defficient.
    Izola likes this.
  6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    Didn't work for me. I felt like I had taken speed.
    Izola likes this.
  7. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Bangkok, Thailand
    Clonazepam 0.5 mg :) Nothing really helped except this stuff.
    Izola, Allyson, beaker and 3 others like this.
  8. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I was seriously addicted to that. My body needed it and so did I. I know it helps a lot of people but it took me 4 months to get off, then I didn't sleep more than a few hours a night for a year.
    Wayne and peggy-sue like this.
  9. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    Douglas Labs Melatonin 3mg sublingual (I specify the brand and dose because every other type of melatonin I've tried doesn't even make a dent, while this one knocks me out like a hammer to the head. Before I tried it, I thought melatonin just didn't work for me. They should be paying me for the number of times I recommend this, but it's been a super help to me).

I also take lemon balm and hops, which help a tiny bit but not nearly like that particular kind of melatonin.

Staying away from any kind of electronics for an hour before bed has helped a lot as well. I didn't expect it to make nearly as much of a difference as it did, and wish I'd started doing that sooner.

Much of the time my sleep is much, much better now, and I'm eternally grateful for that. I do notice that I still have super crappy sleep and wake up in the wee hours of the morning if I've overdone it during the day. I think crappier sleep is just a regular part of my PEM, and one that shows up even when I haven't overdone it badly enough to trigger the worst of my PEM symptoms. If I'm careful about my energy expenditures during the day, I sleep a lot better.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, by "better" I mean that I can sleep through now and don't feel quite so dead in the morning if I get at least 9 or 10 hours. I still don't feel refreshed at all. Haven't yet found a supplement or medication that's made much of a dent in that.
    NK17, Singout, Izola and 3 others like this.
  10. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Well...........for me progesterone cream.....but I am in menopause! Might not be of benefit for a young man like you!
    Izola likes this.
  11. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Hehe Tammy actually I am progesterone defficient in blood tests! :rofl:

@Sparrow I believe you. Douglas is a solid brand. In my experience a LOT of brands on the supplement market seem to be very low quality or placebo, that is the only way to explain why 40% or more that I have tried just does not have an effect at all. And not just for me, my healthy smaller brother also didn´t get anything from Rhodiola Solgar for example. I took once 6 pills of the stuff just to see and nada.

How many more brands/types of melatonin did you try? I say this because I have tried a few, from liquid forms, to plain melatonin capsules to sustained-release tablets Kirkmans brand.

Thanks for your comments everyone. Now I have some things to discuss with my GP and that psychiatrist appointment that is coming.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    merylg likes this.
  12. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Washington, DC
    The thing to watch out for is melatonin is a potent inhibitor of cortisol production so those of you who are using it as a sleep aid at night if you are taking larger dosages it will definitely negatively affect your cortisol the next day.

I noticed that with me and stopped taking it for that reason and have been better without it. Though I do think if you take a small dosage <= 5mg it should be ok for most people.
  13. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I think that depends on when you take the melatonin, and how much one takes. I try to take it about 45 minutes before going to bed, so that I'm totally ready to sleep by the time it kicks in.

Also Seriphos is working well for me. It's also supposed to lower high cortisol, which may be why some of us have trouble in the first place. But my doc said to take one about 2-3 hours before bedtime, then another one 15 minutes before I hit the sack.
    merylg and Crux like this.
  14. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Washington, DC
    After using so many different sleeping medications and aids, etc I found that in the end they make things worse. They are just a quick fix. I stopped them all a while ago.

I know that a lot of people might disagree with what I say here, but I found that if you try to push yourself (just a little) to stay somewhat active the entire day and resist the urge to take naps then my sleep at night became a million times better, deeper and for more continuous hours without waking. I would also wake up not feeling so terrible.

When I just didn't do much at all and rested and napped one or two times a day I found that this makes for terrible and fragmented sleep at night and waking up exhausted.

Now I don't mean to push yourself until you crash, just try to go the entire day doing things and staying a bit active and not napping. Then by night time you are more tired but not in any way crashing and then you don't need a sleep aid and you sleep more like we did before we had CFS. I felt its more natural for my body to at least try to keep my wake/sleep cycle as much as possible like a normal person.

And it just makes sense, even for people without CFS if they sat a home all day not doing much at all and napping all the time they wouldn't sleep well at night.

I forgot to add it took me like a week or so of pushing myself and doing this every day with the sleep still not being good until then it suddenly worked. And it reinforces itself, once my sleep got better I could be more active and less resisted to take naps during the day which made me more ready to sleep at night without any help and so on.
    merylg, Sparrowhawk and Beyond like this.
  15. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    For me, high dose curcumin is the only thing that helped.
    WoolPippi, merylg and Beyond like this.
  16. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    This is why I love this site and the people in it. It is inmensely helpful.

@leokitten Good points risen and I will make well sure I do something everyday, to the extent of my daily capacity. Lots of days I barely can walk though :( Today I have a surge of energy! However, I for one had my melatonin tested in urine and I am defficient. So supplementing makes sense at least for a while.
    NK17 and merylg like this.
  17. Gloria H

Gloria H

South Dakota
    I've gotten pretty good 8 hr nights taking 1 475 mg. Swanson Valerian Root 1 hr. before bedtime [which is at about 1 or 2 AM]. If I've eaten sugar or a bit of gluten, casein or soy, I add 1 Swanson 650 mg. quercetin, cuz those 4 items tend to start me itching somewhere. I've tested gluten, casein & soy intolerant.
    Sweet dreams to you!
    merylg likes this.
  18. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Alternating the crap out of a handful of meds. Not working of late due to another illness but its the best thing I have come up with.

They need to bring a few more new sleep meds to the market.
    zzz, Izola, merylg and 2 others like this.
  19. Gloria H

Gloria H

South Dakota
    What's your high dose Cigana? I might try that alternative knowing curcumin is good for me.
    Blessings to you!
    Izola likes this.
  20. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    GABA is the only thing that's made a difference to me. I take the pharmaGABA variety which supposedly crosses the blood brain barrier, 250 mg. I still wake up but now I go back to sleep more quickly. And I get deep sleep now which is so nice. Still have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, but I feel okay once I'm up and moving.
    NK17, Izola, merylg and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.