• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What happens to folic acid uptake by cells, cerebral spinal fluid

soulfeast

A friend recently sent me this information about folic acid uptake by cells... what do you think. Thank you...

Edward V. Quadros PhD and his colleagues have found in autism normal to high folate levels in the serum and erythrocytes, but with cerebral folate deficiency. In the serum they also found high-affinity blocking autoantibodies against membrance-bound folate receptors. So the cells do not uptake, because the receptors are blocked.

Freddd

A friend recently sent me this information about folic acid uptake by cells... what do you think. Thank you...

Edward V. Quadros PhD and his colleagues have found in autism normal to high folate levels in the serum and erythrocytes, but with cerebral folate deficiency. In the serum they also found high-affinity blocking autoantibodies against membrance-bound folate receptors. So the cells do not uptake, because the receptors are blocked.

If you look at the Deplin site they describe how methylfolate is the only form of folate that penetrates the blood brain barrier. They also have that in their research complete with citations. Folic acid doesn't penetrate the brain in anybody.