• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What gut parasites look like and do

aquariusgirl

xrunner..what did you find helpful for parasites...? as i recall u went to the london school of tropical diseases.. but the tests weren't helpful.. is that right?

xrunner

xrunner..what did you find helpful for parasites...? as i recall u went to the london school of tropical diseases.. but the tests weren't helpful.. is that right?

ag, I did an extended course of Ivermectin and doxy after a blood borne parasite called Cryptostrogylus pulmoni was found by dark field microscopy. That helped.
My stool tests were always negative for parasites and in any event I never passed any worms even after ivermectin and the many herbs I tried over the years.

AFCFS

The first thing that led me to believe this was 99% rubbish (irresponsible) was that it was Dr. Oz. I think if you have symptoms, then good to run by your doc. I have it on my list, but the symptoms can also be attributed to other factors (e.g. yellow stools could be a sign of a blocked bile duct and gallbladder problems). A search on “parasite cleanse scam” will debunk most of the hyped-up dialogue presented. I think the end segment of the video, showing the parasite remedies was irresponsible.

There is evidence that wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) can aid in parasite removal, but it should also be balanced with the fact that it is a convulsant and nuerotoxin.

I find this scientific article interesting: Medicinal Plants: A Source of Anti-Parasitic Secondary Metabolites (abstract and downloadable PDF of full article)

As well as these links:
Is Absinthe Harmful?
Absinthe FAQ pointer
In vivo evaluation of anti-parasitic effects of Artemisia absinthium extracts on Syphacia parasite

NOW Foods Fresh Green Black Walnut Wormwood Complex states:

"A proprietary blend of fresh ""Green"" Black Walnut Hulls (Juglans species) 1.6 ml *
Wormwood Herb (Artemisia absinthium) and Clove Buds (Carophyllus specie)
Other Ingredients: Grain Alcohol, Distilled Water.

"Suggested Usage

As an herbal dietary supplement, take 1/2-2 droppersful 2-3 times daily in juice or water, before meals and/or at bedtime. This product is best used by gradually increasing dosage over a two week period with a one week break before repeating."

If I were to use it, and did see "anything," I would bottle it up and take it to a doc. I assume some parasites may be very obvious, but I am not certain if I could tell the difference between a parasitic worm and an insufficiently digested stem of collard green, or what have you. Along the same lines, I do not know if I could tell a bile stone from an undigested peanut.

To me, it seems too risky of an endeavor to continue using something that not may not be needed and may be harmful for any period of time.

As far as Giardia, if you are not affected then I think you do not need to treat it, but, of course there is some controversy with this in certain scenarios (e.g being in a highly transmittable environment). I think if you are infected and affected, you will certainly know it. It is easily diagnosed and treated.

I had it after drinking from a stream in Alaska (moose feces carry Giardia and easily find its way into streams). The cramping and exiting were horrendous - I was on the toilet long enough to write and then read War and Peace - but it is not the all-pervasive hidden CFS bug that one might insinuate from the drama of these two paid entertainers.

Overall, I might think differently of these types of shows if presented with more evidence and less hyperbole, but otherwise am rather jaded to "TV health advice." I essentially see this as two doctors that learned they could make more off of Oprah than their practices.