• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What gets you through your worst crashes

sueami

Hi all, I'm sorry I'm not googling this but I can barely stay up long enough to type the question. I'm in my first truly horrible crash -- lying in a darkened room for 30 minutes to an hour, up for 5 or 10 minutes to do basic self care.

I can barely stand how awful I feel when I'm resting -- neurotransmitters and digestion are completely disregulated again, so anxiety is rampant, punctuated occasionally by horrible bouts of depression.

Just wondering if anyone has a go-to trick that helps them through this phase of a crash. I'm noticing magnesium oil spray is helping some with the anxiety. Eating every 3 hours is helping with the hypoglycemia. Anything else that works for you I'd love to hear.

tia,

sue

halcyon

I think absolute rest and supporting your body's basic needs are the only things that can help. As you mentioned, eating regularly. Also drinking a good amount of water throughout the day (2-3 liters) and plenty of electrolytes. I believe the increased inflammation of a crash leads to solute diuresis. In this state you can get dehydrated very quickly and not even realize it.

When I say absolute rest I mean you need to be horizontal in bed, most of the day.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had 2 crashes from stress related viral reactivation. I felt like I had mono, couldn't keep my eyes open, sore throat, swollen glands, crippling fatigue. The first time I upped my Famvir from 500 mgs to 1000 and within 2 days I was hugely better.

The last time I was at 750 mgs Famvir so I stopped it for 4 days, the slammed myself with 1000 mgs. Extremely painful but again, much better.

sueami

I'm doing Kimsie's extremely strict rest protocol. I'm up for 10-15 minutes, then down for 30-45 or more, depending on how I feel. No more than 3 hrs up a day, though maybe I should drop that back even further.

While down, dark room. No stimulation. Dozing mostly. Mindfulness meditation if I feel too alert to doze.

I may have some viral activity going on. Not swollen glands but a feel of flu-ishness.

I'm going to try some monolaurin and drastically up my water intake. ty both.

soxfan

Even when I am in a bad crash....trying to rest is almost impossible. My body is so wired and I feel as though electrical currents are going up and down my entire body. It is a most awful feeling yet I can't stay upright for more than 15-30 minutes without feeling as though I am going to drop on the floor.

I drink a lot of liquids because on these crash days I don't even have the energy to eat and have no appetite at all. I always seem to feel dehydrated too.

I stay in a dark room and listen to meditation on my Ipod. Sometimes just listening to a soothing voice helps somewhat. I also will occasionally resort to Klonopin at a very small dose. It seems to help with the wired feeling but I only use when it is almost unbearable and I need relief.

I never have flu symptoms when I am in a crash. My body just feels like it has been drained of life but still wired. The nerve pain in my legs also become much worse...I never feel sleepy tired just like I have no life.

Resting is the best thing to do....as much as possible.

So sorry to hear this, @sueami . Hope you get out of it soon.

I don't have any useful "tricks" for recovery, but also vote for rest. When resting, as I get bored really easily, I listen to meditation on my Ipod like @soxfan does.

I've downloaded several Iyengar Yoga meditations from Itunes that I like: I especially like the ones by Morven Hamilton. (This is non-movement yoga: meditation, counting, body awareness, visualization.) I also like Tara Brach's accessible Buddhist meditations.

Here's a link to this same question with answers from another site that might be helpful.

ahmo

So sorry to hear about your crash. I've just been learning about, and using high doses of antioxidants to intervene in the nitrous oxide cycle, which seems now to be a big part of my crashes. Eating lot's of carrots, other antiox supps. And my standard, may or may not be a reasonable suggestion in your state, coffee enemas.:meh:Sending you :hug::hug:

MikeJackmin

There's an old joke about hangovers; you should be grateful to find yourself in a situation where you'll feel better and better with every hour that passes. Replace the word 'hour' with 'day' and you'll have my mantra for bad crashes. They suck, and not much helps. You just rest, and look forward to seeing them pass.

liverock

@sueami

I dont know whether you are still taking the transdermal MB12,, if so it could be you are creating too many methyl groups for your slow running MAO++ and COMT+ mutations which could be the cause of the crash. If so you could try Dr Ben Lynch's remedy for overmethylating namely small 50mg doses of Niacin, to reduce excess methyl, this may help to get out of the crash symptoms more quickly.

If this is indeed the problem then changing in future to Hydroxycobalamin B12 could be the answer which is slower acting.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
So sorry to hear about your crash. I've just been learning about, and using high doses of antioxidants to intervene in the nitrous oxide cycle, which seems now to be a big part of my crashes. Eating lot's of carrots, other antiox supps. And my standard, may or may not be a reasonable suggestion in your state, coffee enemas.:meh:Sending you :hug::hug:

Hey Ahmo, which antioxidants do you take?

ahmo

@Dreambirdie I've been using astaxanthin for some time, have just moved to a higher dose. And just added reseveratrol, per Martin Pall's work on nitrous oxide and oxidative stress. Also switching from E succinate to Gamma E, per Pall's findings. Always some Vit C. In the last weeks, my body's been requesting a huge amount of carrots, up to nearly 1kg/day. Pall also lists carotenoids, including watermelon (lycopene), which I've just added, first fruit in nearly 3 years. Pall's talking about peroxynitrite scavengers, I'm struggling to understand his material. In the last 20" of the following vid you'll find a slide listing his suggestions. MTHF along w/ high dose C is about his first suggestion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6A7r1gemjto

sueami

Liverock, I have been taking niacinimide in small, spaced doses, along with d ribose, as part of kimsie's protocol. Maybe I won't be so hesitant about how much I'm taking (I think i'm at maybe 50-75 mg), as Kimsie recommends much larger doses. I am doing my b12 subq shot and the xdermal oils. I'll try backing off on the transdermal for now. (The shots will expire if I don't keep taking them.)

Thank you, all for the links and suggestions. I'm learning a lot through this crash, and starting to feel a bit better.