Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What Fixed/Aided Your Brain Fog?

Discussion in 'Cognition' started by MAF14, Feb 29, 2016.

1. hamsterman

hamsterman Senior Member

Los Angeles
    Hmm.. interesting. how much did you take?

JaimeS likes this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    At that time I think I was taking 400 a day, with the odd accidental increase to 600 (my organisational abilities re supplements, or anything that needs taking more than once a day, with food, empty stomach etc was/is a bit iffy)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    JaimeS likes this.
  3. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

I tried CoQ10. I didn't notice any benefits. Apigenin did reduce my brainfog enough that I bought more, but I'm not sure if it's still having any beneficial effects for me. I think apigenin is one of those things that worked only for a short time and then stops working ever after. ME/CFS just seems to keep adapting to keep me miserable.

Wonko likes this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    And how much did you take of CoQ10 and Apigenin? :)

5. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

I can't remember the CoQ10 trial; probably the recommended daily amount followed by double the amount for a while. I didn't try mega-dosage for long periods though.

Apigenin gave a slight--but noticeable--reduction in brainfog at 50 mg/day. Increasing the amount didn't seem to help more. The improvement showed up fairly quickly though; I think I noticed the improvement the next day.

Of the drugs/supplements I've tried for ME/CFS symptoms, most work within 24 hrs. Prednisone was an exception, since it took 5 days to start working the first time, two days the second time, and never had any effect after those two trials.

6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Still not 'mega' -- CoQ10 dosages that are safe run the gamut.

You might get 100mg as a 'normal' dose, or 200mg. Double that is still 6 - 12 times less than what I take on an average day (2.5-g). Look up the dosages used in multiple sclerosis and you'll see what a high, but still safe, dosage of CoQ10 is.

I agree. I think there's a subset of patients where metabolism is either very, very slow -- or their digestive systems are screwy enough that they're not absorbing, much. But I'm an easy-reactor, which is the other half of us. I usually notice almost immediately if something is going to help or harm.

But the dose does matter; and in the case of CoQ10, the form and the brand also seems to matter.

-J

Mel9 likes this.
  7. cfsinatx

cfsinatx Amor fati

Austin, TX
    First and foremost adderal regular release - 20mg at start of day, another 10mg 2.5 to 3hrs later and then 10mg after post lunch short nap gives me 3 to 6 hrs productive time. Buttressed by strategically consumed 2 large glasses of caffiented ice tea and 2 caffienated diet sodas.

Other supporting supplements: D-Ribose daily and 3mg B12 six days a week

8. Isaiah 58:11

Isaiah 58:11 Senior Member

A Sun-Scorched Land
    pibee likes this.

9. If you're using caffeine and drugs to push yourself into being productive, you're basically just borrowing energy from the future and promoting a boom-and-crash cycle that is dangerous at best and probably ultimately harmful. Caffeine is not a miracle drug, it just tricks your body into burning your extremely limited energy faster.

I've found D-Ribose, omega 3s, 5-htp, Alpha lipoic acid (600mg), and Acetyl-L-Carnitine (1500mg) helpful. But I don't recommend them for long term use. Basically your body stops manufacturing anything you provide artificially. So my experience has been that the supplements help at first, then I develop a tolerance, and then as the months wear on, they actually start reducing my energy.

The only sustainable fix for my brain fog has been eating a basically paleo diet free of allergens. I found that I have a problem with casein and gluten. When I stopped eating them, I made huge strides in memory, the amount of time I can focus for, and how much I can read, and my 3-year headache is now gone. I went on and off them a couple times to be sure. Each time, the symptoms came right back and then disappeared when I cut them out. I also can't eat nightshades, which were giving me diarrhea.

If you're serious about fixing your brain fog, try fixing your guts. A leaky gut will allow foreign proteins and toxins (such as hydrogen sulphide) into your bloodstream, poisoning your brain in the process.

10. hamsterman

hamsterman Senior Member

Los Angeles
    Yes, assuming you have ME... stimulants can be a catastrophe in some cases. I was given Modafinil (from a dr. who knew nothing about CFS/ME)... and it worked great for a few months... until I started believing I had more energy than I actually had. Eventually it caused me to crash for a couple months... and lowered my overall baseline. I've heard this same story from several people with ME.

I do use low dose stimulants on occasions... but very carefully, and only when I am actively monitoring my heart to make sure there is no risk of triggering PEM.

If you don't have M.E., then this isn't relevant... but like Arius said.. its still just 'borrowing energy'.

11. MAF14

MAF14 Senior Member

I agree with stimulant usage.

Of all the supplements you listed none should cause a "tolerance" to develop.

A carb, healthy fats and an amino acid... Those are all supplements that even healthy people take and say good things about. Maybe they helped you feel better and you accidentally over did it physically.

12. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

I think this is spot on. No easy fix for this but I sure hope some researchers are looking at this...

13. MAF14

MAF14 Senior Member

Well... I just ordered the following so we'll see if any help

Quercetin
    Yucca
    Alpha GPC
    Micronized DHEA
    RS (Bobs Red Mill Unmodified potato starch)

See more popular forum discussions.