1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What dosages do you guys use for CoQ10?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Gingergrrl43, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gingergrrl43

Gingergrrl43 Senior Member

USA
    I just started CoQ10 today and was wondering (for those who use it) what brand and dose do you use? Also, what have you noticed from it (good, bad or indifferent?)

Thank you in advance!
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I take 100mg of Ubiquinol x3 week I wish I could afford to take more. Does it help? Possibly. Are you familiar with
    Shilajit Fulvic Acid? They work together. I'm currently looking into this.

I take Super Ubiquinol CoQ10 by Life Extension

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member

4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I couldn't take Ubiquinol. Had a bad reaction. I have some cousins who have Huntington's Disease and they took 400 mgs of regular Coq10 3x/day.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member

@minkeygirl what kind of bad reaction did you experience?

Years ago it made my heart thump really hard and I had to stop, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I think I was taking 200 mg at the time and it was possibly too high a dose
  6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    You know @Mij I can't remember what it did. When I have a bad reaction to something I either get a slamming headache or feel like I'm on speed. OLE made me feel totally drugged.

This wasn't that long ago. last year maybe?
  7. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I take the Vitacost brand. You can have your blood levels checked for this, so you can have it tested before starting, and then some time, 1 month?, after taking CoQ10. I had mine tested before starting and my CFS Dr said the levels were fine. I take it now because I figure it cannot hurt, not that expensive, and I take more before/and/or after exercising some, to replenish what I might have depleted!

GG
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i use 100mg twice a day, dr's best brand.
  9. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    I take 150mg in the morning. Also magnesium and currently 1000mg omega 3. I don't know if it actually makes any difference, but don't think it can do me harm!
  10. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I can tolerate 50 MG only. Any more than that gives me insomnia.
  11. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Mayo Clinic's page on CoQ10 lists dosages that have been used in many different disorders -- a long page of them. The dosage varies a lot. For most disorders, dosages seem to range between about 20mg and 600mg. For neurological and mitochondrial disease, the dosages used are much higher. For example,

I took 200 mg CoQ10 for several years with no noticeable effect. A few months ago I increased to 1200 mg (600 mg morning, 600 mg at lunch) and have noticed that I have some more energy and I'm not as tired by evening as I used to be. I'm not planning to stay at this dose permanently. My guess is that I was severely depleted. Hopefully I'm now back into a healthier range and may be able to maintain with a dosage in the 200 - 600 mg daily range. I'll just have to experiment, I suppose.

I have had no bad side effects from it at all, but I'm not generally hypersensitive to meds and supplements. I am careful to take it early in the day because I've read it can cause insomnia if taken after midday.

ggingues' suggestion to get your CoQ10 level tested, if you can, is a good one. That would probably be the best way to figure out the appropriate dose for you.
    ggingues and merylg like this.
  12. Gingergrrl43

Gingergrrl43 Senior Member

USA
    @SOC thank you for posting all the info from Mayo Clinic and I looked at the page, it's very interesting.

For the last few days I have been taking 200 mg per day of "Raw CoQ10" from "Garden of Life" brand. It was recommended to me at the Vitamin Shop but when I see my ND next week, if she prefers another brand for me, I will switch. So far I have not had any side effects from it which is good (but have not noticed any improvement either.) I guess this is one of those meds that helps us in the long term.

@ggingues I had no idea you could test your C0Q10 level and I am going to ask my ND about that. I suspect that mine will be low but who knows?

@Mij What is the difference between Ubiquinol and CoQ10? Also, you mentioned "Shilajit Fulvic Acid" and I am not familiar with this. What does it do?

Thank you to everyone who answered my question! You guys ROCK!
  13. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I've tried various brands and doses. Still experimenting to find the optimal type.

One thing that I have noticed is that I notice a difference if I buy the soft gel caps version. These seem to work much better for me.

See more popular forum discussions.