• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does sore throat feel like?

That sounds like a silly question, but I get a sore "neck" not exactly throat. The inside of my throats does not hurt, not like getting a cold or strep throat. Instead it is this pain in the front of my neck, but not muscular. It feels like there is pain in the actual structures of my neck. I don't think that makes much sense but I can't explain it better. The pain makes me feel like my throats is closing and it is hard to talk. Worse if I'm upset. Is this typical?

Neunistiva

I get very severe sore throats often. It feels like I swallowed sandpaper and it damaged the lining on the way down.

Every breath and every swallow hurts tremendously, especially swallowing liquid, but I don't feel any pain in the neck. Also, sore throat should be visible by the naked eye. My GP can see the redness.

I'm just guessing here, but maybe you have swollen nodes and that's what hurts?

Skippa

Anti-BS
That sounds like a silly question, but I get a sore "neck" not exactly throat. The inside of my throats does not hurt, not like getting a cold or strep throat. Instead it is this pain in the front of my neck, but not muscular. It feels like there is pain in the actual structures of my neck. I don't think that makes much sense but I can't explain it better. The pain makes me feel like my throats is closing and it is hard to talk. Worse if I'm upset. Is this typical?

I get that sometimes.

I attribute it to one (or more) of the sets of glands playing up... google some images of the head and neck lymph nodes, normally there is an exact match in terms of location. By lightly pressing the area I can often feel them hurting and perhaps slightly swollen.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I don't find that silly at all... we have so many symptoms that we start to wonder if the way we experience common health problems or even normal bodily issues is normal... I have many times asked others how a cold or a flu feels like and this very morning I was asking myself if everyone feels so extremely sleepy when they wake up. Back when I was a child I used to have sore throats as often as everyone else, and when I did, the front part of my neck started to itch and/or hurt. Don't know if that helps