• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does Isotretinoin (Accutane) affect in the body?

I have been sick for many many years, i have had a medical investigation going on for 9 years and pretty much all my tests has been normal, at least nothing that can explain my symptoms. I strongly believe that i was born with a disease and then my symptoms became fully developed around the age of 13 or 14.

10 years ago i got cured for 6 months when i took Roaccutan (Isotretinoin) against accne. I took Roaccutan for 7 months, a couple of months after i stopped taking it all my symptoms went away and then gradually came back again 6 months later (acne disappeared tho).

I haven't found anyone anywhere who has experienced anything similar, Isotretinoin is known for its negative side effects and can pretty much only cure skin problems and cancer.

I have a curable disease that temporarily can be cured by Isotretinoin and it affects the brain, skin colour, body odour, hair and fatigue, that's all i know.

I have decided to take Isotretinoin again and document everything that happens as detailed as i can.
Before i do this i want to check all blood levels, enzymes, genes or whatever that Isotretinoin specifically affects in the body.

This is what i have found so far:

cholesterol (several of them) (increasing levels)
aspartate aminotransferase (increasing levels)
alanine aminotransferase (increasing levels)
alkaline phosphatase (increasing levels)
leukocyter white blood cell count (decreasing levels)

Leptin (decreasing levels)
Adiponektin (increasing levels)
Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) (decreasing levels)
Interleukin 17 (IL-17) (decreasing levels)
Interleukin 4 (IL-4) (decreasing levels)
Interferon gamma (IFN?) (decreasing levels)
GNMT Gene

Im checking different publications everyday because i know that there are alot more things in the body that Isotretinoin affects. If you know more then those i have listed here i would really appreciate that information.

Thanks!

nandixon

@jamienoble

If you have ME/CFS, then I'd think the greatest chance is that the Accutane is having some sort of immunomodulatory effect.

So you might want to do tests relating to the immune system - like lymphocyte subset panels, immunoglobulin subclasses, natural killer (NK) cell function, etc.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I took Roaccutan for 7 months, a couple of months after i stopped taking it all my symptoms went away and then gradually came back again 6 months later (acne disappeared tho).
You might want to read the following post and the links in it.
Dr. Van Konynenburg had previous post a few times on a well established pattern of Accutane causing a hyperactive Glycine N-Methyltransferase (1-6).

Glycine N-Methyltransferase is the same as GNMT Gene which i already listed. I will do a WES (Whole Exome Sequencing) soon so i hope i can check if something is wrong with that particular gene.

Last edited:

junkcrap50

Very interesting stuff. I wouldn't mind an update on your findings. All I know is that Accutane can stunt growth in teens, among other things I forgot, and wouldn't recommend it for kids with acne.

Seven7

Seven
I have found the same effect on any drug that messes with leptin ( some diet pills) so I put my money into that.