• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does a very positive response from Tyrosine imply?

Chriswolf

Does this basically confirm that somewhere I'm experiencing issues with methylation?

I've been taking 2-3 grams per day and my body temperature around the 3 gram/day mark is starting to feel normal, this coming from somebody who back in 2012 in September had registered a temperature one degree off of clinical hypothermia at various times.

I'm not exaggerating either, my body used to feel like it was freezing up and my muscles and skin would feel stiff due to my poor body temperature. It's been a very long time since I've felt like a normal person at room temperature and it's kind of surreal.

My memory recall is improving, my thoughts are coming to me more quickly. I was experiencing a rather disconcerting advancement of memory issues that were making it difficult to recall the names of things I should have no difficulty remembering.

My skin which has been easily prone to irritation and rashes since adolescence has magically cleared up, I don't appear to have dark circles and have as sunken appearance to my eyes as I once did and I've only been taking it for 4 days.

I was also experiencing serious issues with nasal congestion for long periods of time which I thought might've been induced by a cold or allegies, however my airways are now clearing up as well which I understand might be due to tyrosine being converted to L-Dopa and thereon to catecholamines which can cause such symptoms if one's catecholamine levels are poor.

If this does imply that my methylation process is somewhat borked, should I use this as an indicator to try NAC as well as methylfolate? I am considering both, especially considering I also have biliary issues which NAC is supposed to assist with.

Last edited:

Mij

@Chriswolf glad you found something that helps. Low levels of tyrosine can lead to thyroid deficiencies. according to my OAT report. Mine was almost undetectable on my test, but when I took tyrosine I became hyper/irritated, for me I think it stemmed from low status of it's precursor phenylalanine.

Chriswolf

Yeah, I don't really feel agitated at all when I take it, in fact my whole body just feels more relaxed, although that could be partly due to it resolving certain physically distressing symptoms.

My thyroid is wonky, I've had it tested a few times and it always would bounce back to a less concerning threshold although my labs were never "good".

Incidentally, I will admit I've taken t3 hormone in the past and it hasn't done what Tyrosine is doing now, so I'm a little confused as to why it's working so well.

Mij

@Chriswolf this is interesting:

http://www.beatcfsandfms.org/html/NaStrategy.html

2) Take A Tyrosine Challenge Test
If one takes 1000mg per 100 to 150LBs of body weight of L-Tyrosine (an amino acid precursor to noradrenaline available in health food stores) and 50mg of P5P Pyridoxal-5-phosphate (one can sometimes substitute B6 for P5P if their enzymes in the liver that convert B6 to P5P are working properly), and their fatigue is alleviated between 10 and 40min after taking these items, then they have a major finding on their hands. This would indicate that one had linked their fatigue to noradrenaline, an internal biochemical parameter. In fact, anytime one does something that temporarily causes the fatigue to go away, and the test is repeatable, then they have a major finding. L-Tyrosine and P5P (or B6) can be purchased at your local health food store. Feeling better from L-Tyrosine indicates there was a deficiency in the NA-based communication in the brain and the additional L-Tyrosine gave it a boost. If one's NA level is normal, L-tyrosine should not effect them. If you are considering taking L-tyrosine on a regular basis, please read about it's potential long term adverse affects by clicking here.

Chriswolf

Hmm, interesting regarding the long term effects, also a bit disappointing as taking it accompanies such a level of risk.

I may have to give P5P a try and see if it helps as well, unfortunately magnesium has never really had the effect that Tyrosine had, although it does seem to keep the effects of poor GI motility.

"If you present evidence of an NA problem and the Doc suggests an SSRI drug (seratonin reuptake inhibitor that increases the seratonin neurotransmitter, and is very commonly used for "depression"), then you are probably talking to the wrong Doc and it is recommended that you find one that knows brain chemistry and is more like a detective/scientists who is comfortable with short little experiments to track down the problem. Don't waste time with an idiot SSRI Doc who has no idea how to help you."

Hahaha, this is pretty much every doctor I've ever spoken to about this issue, where I live they absolutely LOVE prescribing serotonergic drugs as it for some reason arbitrarily poses no liability for the doctor to prescribe it and then regardless of the outcome - claim it is an acceptable treatment. I would concur with the person who wrote this article in characterizing them as idiots.

Chriswolf

P5P is used to treat pyroluria, and I have quite a few of the symptoms associated with it.

Thanks much for your input Mij, it looks as if I have some new angles to consider with regard to my symptoms.

L'engle

moogle
I found the benefit of tyrosine to trail off after a couple of weeks but I wasn't taking any other methylation supplements at the time. Hope it helps you in the long term!

Chriswolf

I don't know if I will be taking it long-term, I figure I'll give it two weeks or so and if I notice my condition stabilizing and reduce my dosage.

I suspect that my tyrosine levels have been poor for a very long time, so I'll take it for a bit longer and see how much I can lower my dosage once I think I've topped out.

I think I'm definitely going to try methylfolate, NAC and P5P individually in the intermediate future to determine if they have potential to help me as well.

I've recently just integrated l-citrulline again as it helped me with muscle stiffness and fatigue in the past, and it's one of a few prominent symptoms that the tyrosine simply didn't do much for.