1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What do you keep the Yogurts in?

Discussion in 'GcMAF' started by snowathlete, Oct 20, 2012.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Presumably you can just keep it in a sealed jar? Or does it need to be open to the air or something like that, for fermenting or whatever?

Im likely to try the 878 but my wife has some questions.

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    When I made the MAF878 I used a large glass bowl (like a mixing bowl). It needs to have a wide neck to be able it with a wooden spoon (new one bought for this). A large wide necked perserving jar would have worked.

Then I transferred it into a large glass perserving jar with a lid and put in the fridge. I covered the original bowl lightly with a clean linen table napkin to keep flies etc out.

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I use two Kilner glass jars because a big enough single one was too tall to go in my fridge. With the MAF 878, you're adding the starter to 4 pints of liquid which expand somewhat as they culture. The opening needs to be wide enough not only to get a wooden spoon in to stir when it's culturing but to get a ladle in to measure it out into a cup ready to drink (at least, that's how I do it).

I don't seal the jars either when the culturing is ongoing on the countertop or later in the fridge in case culturing continues in case of a pressure build-up (I don't want exploding glass jars!). I just let the lids sit on top without locking them down. I've had no problems with contamination.

See more popular forum discussions.