• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What do you guys mean by Alcohol intolerance please?

I know this is older but I can drink spirits fine, in moderation, no hangover but need to replenish electrolytes badly next day physically I'm fine.....

wine especially red wine I'm allergic too, my mom and sister have it too they can't drink wine. It causes headaches, muscle pain/spasms, congestion, palpitations etc. It's awful and that's after just a sip or two.

I don't drink often, usually a shot or two of whiskey with a friend once a month it'll make my mouth dry and slightly buzzed but water helps

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
This consistent with an initial burst of arachidonate metabolism (triggered by alcohol, a known cause) followed by systemic omega 6 deficiency. The only way to prove that though would be in large well designed study, and that is not a priority on this issue.
Hi @alex3619, I'm interested in your thoughts on whether prostaglandin E2 could somehow be involved in this, given AA is converted to PE2 after physical activity. Do you think that in ME PE2 could trigger an (auto)immune response? Are there any references to this anywhere that I could read that you would know about? Thanks.

alex3619

@GreyOwl I don't think PGE2 would trigger an autoimmune response specifically, but it will drive immune substances and this might have a secondary effect. It is known to trigger oxidative bursts in mitochondria though, so that is another consideration. So far as I am aware, and I am way out of date now, the mechanism for the oxidative burst is unknown, it was an empirical observation.

PS oops. Arachidonic acid is known to produce oxidative bursts, not specifically PGE2.

Last edited:

Sean

I used to be alcohol intolerant -- felt tipsy or drunk on about half the former amount. Since I've been using medical cannabis, I don't have that experience, at least not with anything negative about it. It still affects me as if it were double the proof but no hangover, no flushing, no bad effects.
Now that is interesting. :nerd:

Also, as already mentioned, different alcoholic drinks can have very different overall compositions, so the type of drink can make a big difference. The cleanest and least damaging would be mid-high quality plain vodka (neat, or with water). The worst would be stuff like cider.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/alcohol-tolerance-poll.6748/#post-137929