1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What do my lymphocyte phenotyping lab results mean?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by A.B., Feb 10, 2014.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Code:
    CD3+ (T lymphocytes)                      49% (55-86)
    CD3+ / CD4+ (T helper lymphocytes)        34% (37-55)
    CD3+ / CD8+ (cytotoxic T lymphocytes)     12% (16-37)
    Ratio CD4+ / CD8+                         2.8 (1.0-3.0)
    CD19+ (B lymphocytes)                     17% (2.0-18.0)
    Surface immunoglobulins:                  polyclonal
    Ratio kappa/lambda:                       1.4
    CD3- / CD56+ (NK lymphocytes)             31% (2.0-30.0)

What does the "CD3- / CD56+" notation mean by the way? Is this a ratio (if so, why is this not specified)?
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I think the notation is used to represent the prevalence of lymphocytes expressing a certain phenotype. CD3-/CD56+ is the phenotype being measured, but other possibilities would be CD3+/CD56+ and CD3+/CD56-. From what I understand, the CD56+ is almost always present on Natural Killer cells, so a high percentage of CD3-/CD56+ lymphocytes indicates elevated NK activity.

It sounds like low CD3-/CD56+ would be an indicator of Lyme disease, which can be useful if it has messed up the immune system badly enough that it's not detected in other manners. But I'm not sure how specific that is to Lyme.

See more popular forum discussions.