1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What could cause dramatic increase in clostridium species?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by helen1, May 30, 2014.

1. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    I posted this over in the Gut forum but without much response so am trying here:

I'm a little distressed - okay freaked out - by my latest organic acids results showing a dramatic increase in 'other pathogenic clostridium species' , as in 'other' than c. diff. which were low. The marker for this, HPHPA, went from 132 a year ago, to 785 now. I can't find any information on what would cause such an increase. The reference range is under 208.
    Any brainstorming ideas or actual info would be great. Thanks.

2. donovank730

donovank730

fecal transplant, or supplimentation with clostridium bacteria

3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Have you taken any antibiotic between the tests?

4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Any diet changes lately?

5. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    Thanks for the ideas, guys.
    None of the above pertain, except perhaps eating raw egg yolks. Is this a possible source of clostridia?

edit: I did a web search and apparently clostridia perfingens can be transmitted via eggs, but I've had no symptoms of c.perfingens.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  6. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    Okay so it seems that the soluble fibre I was taking in the form of acacia powder and resistant starch in the form of potato starch may be the culprits. both feed clostridium bacteria.

See more popular forum discussions.