• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What causes weight loss?

I have been experiencing severe weight loss (weight is 103, height 5'5") and weakness (on top of the regular CFS symptoms) for the last year and a half. I've had every test known to man and seen multiple doctors, but no one has been able to figure out why or be of help. I've been tested for parasites twice, but nothing showed up. I was tested for malapsorption, but the results were normal. I don't have anemia. My diet hasn't changed. When I went on antibiotics for a month earlier this year for an H. pylor infection, the weakness seemed to subside somewhat (although the weight loss was unchanged). About a week after stopping the antibiotics, the weakness came back.

The antibiotics adversely affected my immune system, so I'm not anxious to try another type of antibiotic unless there's a clear reason for it.

I also did some ozone therapy last year and that helped me feel stronger, but I had to stop it because it was damaging my lungs. So there does seem to be a pattern where some things that work on killing bugs seem to help. But I've tried lots of natural buy killers that haven't helped.

So I'm at a loss as to what is going on. Does anyone know what kinds of things can cause weight loss and weakness in people with CFS?

Lou

I have been experiencing severe weight loss (weight is 103, height 5'5") and weakness (on top of the regular CFS symptoms) for the last year and a half. I've had every test known to man and seen multiple doctors, but no one has been able to figure out why or be of help. I've been tested for parasites twice, but nothing showed up. I was tested for malapsorption, but the results were normal. I don't have anemia. My diet hasn't changed. When I went on antibiotics for a month earlier this year for an H. pylor infection, the weakness seemed to subside somewhat (although the weight loss was unchanged). About a week after stopping the antibiotics, the weakness came back.

The antibiotics adversely affected my immune system, so I'm not anxious to try another type of antibiotic unless there's a clear reason for it.

I also did some ozone therapy last year and that helped me feel stronger, but I had to stop it because it was damaging my lungs. So there does seem to be a pattern where some things that work on killing bugs seem to help. But I've tried lots of natural buy killers that haven't helped.

So I'm at a loss as to what is going on. Does anyone know what kinds of things can cause weight loss and weakness in people with CFS?

Hi CBS64,

I've struggled with weight loss, too. The two things that helped, on separate occasions, were gcmaf and Fredd's B12 protocol. Muscle weighs more than fat and both therapies increased muscle mass. So, the answer may be our partial methylation block as I think even the gcmaf worked to improve methylation.

Actually, the answer is probably more involved and differs among people, but those things helped me. If you decide to try one, expecially the B 12 protocol take extra amount of caution. Neither are without their own dangers.

Wishing you the best,

Lou

Ema

If you are severely underweight, it is possible that you have high leptin levels and are leptin resistant. This is usually thought of happening to the obese but it also happens to those who are malnourished/underweight.

You might think about testing your leptin level along with HS-CRP and making sure that your thyroid is working well and you are not making too much RT3.

Jack Kruse writes extensively on leptin. Most are focused on losing weight but you will also find information on how to gain weight and reset the leptin mechanism in the forums.

You might also consider they methylation panel testing that RichVanK recommends. Low glutathione in the hypothalamus could be a contributing factor to leptin dysfunction. The B12 protocol may be why that helps because it can raise glutathione levels.

ixchelkali

There is a condition called cachexia, the loss of lean body mass, which can occur as the result of several diseases, including some autoimmune diseases. It's most commonly seen in the eldery and in AIDS patients. They don't know what causes it, but they think that proinflammatory cytokines play a role. My husband has it from his COPD. You might ask your doctor about it, since s/he might not think of it as a possibility in a younger person who doesn't have AIDS.