• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What causes EMF sensitivity?

I've had very severe sensitivity to EMF's recently and am wondering what might have triggered it. I can go for months at a time without having any problems with sitting at the computer and then all of a sudden I will go for long periods where the EMF's bother me so much I can't stay on the computer for very long at all. My monitor is a EMF-free monitor, so it's the CPU and perhaps the power strip that everything is pugged into that is bothering me.

But since the symptoms come and go, there must be something causing it. I would like to figure out what I can do to make it go away, since the computer is a lifeline for me.

Wonko

Anything that acts like a transformer (has coils) will broadcast EMF's, wires on their own do but at such a limited range (millimeters) that you can probably ignore them.

As the main component in a modern computer than could generate an EMF is the PSU you can take one of two approaches, put your computer components in a heavier duty case to provide more shielding between you and the PSU, or use a laptop which doesnt really have a PSU as such.

I suppose you could also use longer leads to put more distance between you and the PSU although this will have limited effect using just air as a barrier (EMF's theoretically obey the inverse square law so doubling the distance between you and the source will reduce the field density to a quarter of it's original or thereabouts).

Of course I am assuming you are using a modern flat screen type monitor, the old CRT types could chuck out a hell of a field especially once they started getting on a bit.

richvank

Hi, CBS64.

My hypothesis for EMF sensitivity in ME/CFS is that there is unrepaired damage to the myelin on the nerve axons, due to oxidative stress and the vicious circle mechanism that involves a partial block in the methylation cycle. Methylation is needed to make at least three substances normally found in myelin, and a methylation deficit can be expected to inhibit the normal maintenance and repair of the myelin.

Myelin normally acts as insulation on the nerve axons. When it is damaged, I suspect that currents that are normally induced in the body by the external EM fields are allowed to flow into the nervous system, and this is what causes the neurological symptoms in a person who has EMF sensitivity.

If this model is valid, I would expect that lifting the partial block in the methylation cycle and raising glutathione back up to normal by means of a methylation protocol would be the solution to this problem.

Why the EMF sensitivity comes and goes in your case, I'm not sure. I do think that the glutathione level can vary over time in ME/CFS, and I suspect that "crashes" occur when glutathione drops further in response to some type of stressor, so maybe that would explain it.

Best regards,

Rich

Marg

I find that a grounding pad helps me while I wait to correct methylation. Go to www.earthing.com and there are some videos on Your Tube. I read a lot and got the pad and then got the half sheet. It took a few weeks but I am sleeping better than I have in years no sleeping pills.. The half sheet goes across the bed so my husband gets benefit too. It helps pain as well..amazing.

Dr. Stephen Sinatra..one oif the leading cardiologists says it helps his patients. It also helped his son who was dying of EMF disease. Yes, he was that sick! He was working on Wall street surounded my electronics.

alex3619

The short answer to this question is: nobody knows what causes it. More research is required to find if any of the theories are right, or if it is something else entirely. Very large numbers of processes in the body are sensitive to magnetic fields. Which of those are sensitive enough to cause these kinds of problems is unknown. Rich's hypothesis is at least testable.

Bye, Alex

CAcfs

I somehow found the Wikipedia page of the first woman in the U.K. to die of CFS, forgot her name now, and she had both MCS and EMF sensitivity, badly. It also said that she was infected with malaria twice, and that is when her CFS started. The malaria thing interested me because I have babesia, and both MCS (can't stand smells) as well as definite EMF sensitivity, like her. So I wondered if there was a link, from certain infectious agents.

I have also wondered if the EMF sensitivty could be from low electrolytes in the body, because don't those help electrical impulses in the body? So then maybe our own forcefield is not strong enough to push against other electrical waves in our surroundings???? That is a theory I developed on my own, because I always need water and electrolytes.

taniaaust1

Im sure there is some link between MCS and EMF.. over the years I have observed a pattern in many ME people.. first they get food intollerences, sometimes followed shortly by MCS.. then followed by EMF as sensitivities further increase.

I dont know if what Im about to say is true or not but im going to take a stab of it in the dark due to the links of these things...but maybe on the days you are reacting to the EMF more.. maybe your EMF tollerance has been more lowered on those days by the MCS and exposes there or to intollerance foods? let me know if that does turn out to be the case...

Hanna

I wanted to add that I follow exactly the pattern described by tania. Firstly food intolerances, then developped MCS and two years ago I began to suffer from bad EMF sensitivity (have ME 14 years). And oddly those EMF spells are worst when I have periods (so are food allergies). I'd like to know if some folks here have received some relief from the Neuroprotek (for EMF sensitivity) which was discussed in an other thread elsewhere (for mast-cells disorders).

camas

I'd like to know if some folks here have received some relief from the Neuroprotek (for EMF sensitivity) which was discussed in an other thread elsewhere (for mast-cells disorders).

Hi Hanna, Apparently in a talk to a group of mastocytosis patients Dr. Theoharides said that he is studying the effects of EMF on mast cells and recommended that they ground themselves. I've stopped taking NeuroProtek for the time being until I can learn why it's causing bone pain. I don't know if I'm sensitive to EMFs, but have my grounding sheet working again and have been sleeping better.

Thanks very much for the replies. I have decided to ship my computer and power strip to a company in Miami that installs EMF shields. I have bought 2 monitors in the last 10 years from this company and they are EMF-free. Here's a link to the website http://www.safelevel.com/ . The man who owns the company is an MIT graduate, so he knows what he's doing. He's sending me a box and something to wrap the CPU in and he's paying for the shipping both ways. The cost is $250 to do the CPU and my power strip.

I did try an Earthing mat, but felt very bad after only a couple of minutes using it, so that wasn't an option. I found an article online talking about takine phosphatidylcholine to help rebuild the myelin sheath. If I could find a soy and egg-free version of phoschol, I would take it. I tried doing the methylation protocol, but even at tiny doses (taken in the morning) the B12/folic acid would interfere with my sleep -- I would wake up after a few hours and be completely unable to fall asleep. My doctor said I do have a serious methylation block, but I haven't been able to do anything about it.

Yes, my pattern was also CFS, then food and environmental allergies, then MCS and EMF sensitivity.

I'll let you know how it goes with the computer shielding.

Thanks

taniaaust1

Its great to hear that one can buy EMF free computers. This is info which needs to be got out there more as over the years Ive come across many with EMF who end up unable to use their computers at all so hence end up nightmarishly even more isolated.

When Cort gets that resources section of the site up.. I really hope he puts has a EMF page on it which that info on where to get those computers.

Wifi123

Hi CBS64,

What you are suffering from is known as radio wave sickness (RWS) and microwave sickness (MWS), which is sensitivity to non-ionized radiation from electromagnetic radiation and fields (EMR and EMF), and has been labeled by the medical fraternity as electro sensitivity (ES) and electro hypersensitivity (EHS).

What triggers your sensitivity isn’t a trigger but a fact of life living in the 21st Century of electro smog that is getting worse each year. Have a read of these DIA Documents that cover-up the health risks of EMR and EMF:

ST-CS-01-169-72 July 1972

DST-1810S-076-76 March 1976

DST-1810S-074-76 March 1976

These documents provides much information of the cover-up of what has been known for many decades and the health risks of EMR and EMF upon those people who have been exposed to non-ionised radiation, which was known way back in the late 1950s. In these documents they admit that microwave radiation of non-ionised radiation, below thermal levels on a human being will experience neurological, cardiovascular and haemodynamic disturbances and exhibit a variety of neurasthenic disorders (Neurasthenia = CFS/ME).

They stated that symptoms of sufferers of EMR and EMF are: headaches, fatigue, dizziness, irritability, agitation, tension, drowsiness, sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, forgetfulness, and lack of concentration, which are no different to symptoms of ME/CFS/FMS. Also in 1998 of the symptoms of wireless technology users:

http://www.greenarmour.com.au/proof.php

As you can see that the symptoms of RWS and MWS are no different to CFS/ME/FMS of the 21st Century.

In 1972 they stated that low frequency electromagnetic fields have been found to generate sonic and ultrasonic oscillations in living organisms that produce elastic deformations in the organism. If the frequency of the outside field corresponds to the oscillation frequency of the cells, the latter deteriorate.

The UCLA Brain information Service in Los Angeles compiled an extensive bibliographic list on the biological effects of electromagnetic fields that affects the central nervous system, which in turns produce all the same symptoms of CFS, ME, and FMS.

The DIA documents also said that any enforcement of stringent exposure standards would be unfavourable on the electronic technology industry output and military functions, which would also make the commercial exploitation of some products unattractive because of increased costs imposed by the need for additional safeguards.

Wow, what a cover-up and that has been the causation factor of most CFS, ME, and FMS sufferers and not some environmental factor, virus or genetic deficiency. They have been pulling to wool over our eyes for a very long time.

To see how free your area is, you need to have an ED65 or ED85EX electro smog metre for measuring EMR and EMF, and a Trifield 100XE for electrical fields.

If you are using all wireless communications then there would be Wireless card in the computer, the wireless modem/router, DECT phone, mobile phone, Wi Fi hotspots, smart metres, and all the other radiation from your next-door neighbours.

The only way it will go away is the turn all things OFF, because there is possibly a multitude of electronic and electrical things that are in your vicinity. There is no “quick fix”.

Putting distance between a radiating apparatus doesn’t make any difference because the invisible force will nuke you wherever you are. Microwave non-ionised radiation will travel 100 (600 yards) metres to 80 kilometres (50 miles).

Keep away from Plasma screens as they radiate badly. And for your information “AIR” is no barrier whatsoever to EMR and EMF. Any old CRT screen is the most dangerous of all.

Being microwave bombarded 24/7 over a long-term and prolonged period of time will destroy most cells causing a multitude of symptoms and possibly cancer. And most neurological disorders is caused by the alteration of the permeability of the blood-brain barrier that allows neurotoxins in the blood to cross over and as a result, an individual could develop server neuro-pathological symptoms and either die or become seriously impaired neurologically.

The EMF sensitivity will come and go depending upon the extremity of the electro smog in your home or the area. If you have smart metres and appliances in the area then you are adding further Wi Fi emanations to your life.

There are many gadgets and devices available for protection, but it all depends upon the area where you live. You can paint the walls and ceilings with a special paint that has to be earthed outside, and place special material drapes at the windows, which will protect you from most microwave radiation from the outside, but if you have it inside then you will defeat the purpose. So, your first step is to change all of your communications in the home to cable, and remove all wireless, which I guess is impossible for your situation.

The sad thing about it all, as in your case, and you haven’t become an extreme sufferer of this debilitating illness, is that you primary illness is RWS/MWS/EHS and then comes along some chemical fumes, mould, virus, bacteria, a tick, or anything else that is a secondary cause and it irritates your primary illness and you become worse. As this is one of the reasons how so many people are diagnosed as being CFS/ME/FMS when in fact it EMR and EMF that puts our immune system out of whack and then along comes something else and all the medical fraternity can do is latch onto some factor that isn’t electro to keep the statement of affairs in those DIA Documents in line with the current TPTB.

It’s all out there on the Internet, and if you can accept my minute insight and information then view all the EHS sites out there that have good scientific studies and reasoning that is deplored by governments, medical fraternities, and military. You need to be aware of the life that you are going to encounter from now on in the world of electro smog.

Best Regards

Wifi123

Its great to hear that one can buy EMF free computers. This is info which needs to be got out there more as over the years Ive come across many with EMF who end up unable to use their computers at all so hence end up nightmarishly even more isolated.

When Cort gets that resources section of the site up.. I really hope he puts has a EMF page on it which that info on where to get those computers.

Sorry there is no such EMF free computers, because if the computer is communicating via wireless then it's not EMF free, but if it's communication via cable then it will be, but only if all the wireless programme is completely disabled and the wireless card removed, then it will be EMF free.

My laptop wireless is completely disabled and I communicate via broadband cable, modem is cable (Wi Fi disabled), but I still get radiated and nuked by all the wireless, Wi Fi, mobile phone and towers, Wi Max transmitters, and DECT phones; this is only a small part what goes on in the invisible world of electrosmog.

EMF is ELF, which can only be contained by enclosing the equipment in specific shielding metals to stop the ELF from radiating from the electrical fields.

Dufresne

almost there...
There are few things I'm confident I understand about my disease, however EHS is one of them. It does vary in its severity. In my case it's caused by the immune reaction to biotoxins in the environment combined with LPS making it into the blood. Extreme avoidance, as slayadragon promotes, got rid of it completely in 3 days. A liver flush and fasting has done the same in the past -only to be reversed within a few minutes of eating.

A good dose of antibiotics will mitigate symptoms. Rifaximin worked too, which only acts on bacteria in the gut. Both LPS and mold toxins effect innate immunity in the same way, leading to what Shoemaker calls CIRS. It's the oxidative stress resulting from this that causes EHS. I know this because anything exacerbating O.S. on top of what's already mentioned worsens EHS.

Interestingly, bad exposures will make it a whole lot worse. I tried "zapping" similar to rifing and my EHS went out of control for a good 6 weeks.

When it gets bad, I find cutting my dietary minerals right down helps a lot.

Wifi123

Hi Dufresne,

Your observations are Interesting, and I’ve discovered that other things, which are secondary antagonisers of EHS, such as neurotoxins, biotoxins, viral and bacterial does make my symptoms of EHS (CFS/ME/FMS) worse. When you say extreme avoidance, what are you referring to?

I have suffered for many years, and when I discovered that radio wave and microwave was causing my sickness, it was then that I realised all the other stuff was secondary and aggravated my EHS symptoms.

My EHS has worsened since power companies have begun to replace analogue power metres with smart metres (Wi Fi) and electrical appliance producers are installing Wi Fi transmitters into home appliances, such as TVs, refrigerators, washing machines, etc.

During my detox, I have found that my symptoms become worse as I believe that the metals are released back into the blood and begins to circulate throughout the system again, and the dregs end up causing brain fog, headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, tinnitus and lung problems as those dregs settle in those areas while being excreted, as the metal is in those sensitive areas act as an antenna and conductor to radiation.

I was wondering if my supplements could be causing an overload of minerals, your comment has been noted, but my naturopath is happy with my progress even though it’s minimal. It’s just going the extra mile, and it’s very slow process.

I do believe that to help our immune system to recover we need to bring our body back to a good pH of alkalinity, as most sufferers are acidic. I use saliva and urine samples that my naturopath checks with a special medical pathology computerized equipment. I don’t use a slip of litmus paper, because I’ve found them to be inaccurate.

Wifi123

Wifi123, have you tried going out in the wilderness away from EMFs, and if so, did your symptoms improve?

Yes, and in the wilderness were there is no mobile phones or towers, or any wireless whatsoever, was a relief and peace, but sadly, our wilderness is a desert, and I am not very good with a bow and arrow, and to survive in the desert would be very hard at my age. I spent three years in an island environment and my ME/CFS disappeared completely, and then I had no idea how I became healed. Then when I returned to the mainland, mobile phone towers had sprouted up everywhere and my symptoms returned, and have been suffering worse and worse year by year. And sadly there is nowhere to hide, because our country has most country areas covered in microwave transmission towers, all cable communications have basically been retrenched.

Dufresne

almost there...
Yes, and in the wilderness were there is no mobile phones or towers, or any wireless whatsoever, was a relief and peace, but sadly, our wilderness is a desert, and I am not very good with a bow and arrow, and to survive in the desert would be very hard at my age. I spent three years in an island environment and my ME/CFS disappeared completely, and then I had no idea how I became healed. Then when I returned to the mainland, mobile phone towers had sprouted up everywhere and my symptoms returned, and have been suffering worse and worse year by year. And sadly there is nowhere to hide, because our country has most country areas covered in microwave transmission towers, all cable communications have basically been retrenched.

Wifi123,

Extreme avoidance means going out into the desert wilderness with nothing containing mold toxins. For me a few days of this wiped out every vestige of EHS, as tested by driving and computer use. EHS kicked in again when I opened a package of long underwear from some obscure Canadian company. When I tossed these and returned to Fruit of the Loom I went back to zero sensitivity. There were other effects on my ME/CFS as well from avoidance. I conducted this experiment in Death Valley. Not any old desert will do. For more on this look up slayadragon's posts on the forum here. Or visit her new site http://www.paradigmchange.me/

Here's a video about treating EHS from Dr Rea. I can't say I've watched it through seeing as I believe I've figured out my problem with electricity but I trust it's full of good info as Dr Rea is tops when it comes to environmental illness.

Wifi123

Hi Dufresne, thanks for that. I have been down the path that Dr Rea suggests for many years, to long of a story to share.

Dufresne

almost there...
He talks about the majority of people having their EHS resolve upon treatment of the underlying MCS or mold illness. I guess I fit into that group. Sorry to hear your case has been so refractory.