Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What can cause manganese to be used up?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by renski, Oct 28, 2017.

1. renski

renski Senior Member

Hello,

My manganese levels in blood went down, I tested manganese and a whole bunch of other stuff before starting any supplements but I started taking a number of things around the same time so I can't possibly know which one has caused it.

This is what I've been taking:
    Tri-fortify glutathione
    B1 (Benfotamine)
    P5P
    B2 and R5P
    B3 (Niacitol and Niacinamide)
    Biotin
    Hydroxy/Adenosyl B12
    Lithium drops
    Zinc
    Mineral complex (which has manganese) about twice per week

Thanks

2. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Andrew Cutler mentions iron, phosphorus, and calcium as interfering with manganese absorption.

3. CCC

CCC Senior Member

It could be B2. One of the megaB2 threads had more about it ('B2 i love you' or 'B2 not so great' (not sure about that second thread title).

If that is the case, it means your body has started working again. From what I can remember, it's not so much an issue of B2 sucking out all the manganese, but just that the things B2 does need manganese. So you've used it up (so to speak).

4. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    Superoxide dismutase (SOD). which neutralizes superoxide made by mitochondria during energy production uses it. Manganese deficiency reduces SOD production, which may result in damaged mitochondrial membranes.

In addition to supplementing a little manganese, ensure you have enough folate and B12, to promote BH4 recycling which will help membranes.

If this has been going on for a while, you might also look into NT Factor to replenish lipids in membranes to repair them, as leaky mitochondrial membranes lessen ATP production.

5. renski

renski Senior Member

Alright thanks everyone.. I've started to add a little Folate the last few days. I've been thinking about phospholipids too, the Tri-fortify is liposomal so it has some phosphatidylcholine.

@Learner1: When you say NT factor, do you just mean phospholipids or the product that has much more (carnitine, CoQ10 etc)? It's been going on for about 8 years but symptoms have been chronic for past 2 years since upsetting the gut.

6. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    I take Allergy Research NT Factor as its the only version without corn. Its licensed to 2 or 3 manufacturers, I believe.

I take Thorne Q Best separately, which allows me to change the dose, if needed.

And I take injectible carnitine. There is some concern that with the wrong gut bacteria, they can make too much of something called TMAO that's bad for your heart. My doctor tested me, found I had too much of it, so I won't return to it orally til my gut is ready to behave with it.

See more popular forum discussions.