• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What can C4A indicate?

My recent labs showed:

C4a: 9695
C3a: 174
VEFG below 31 (Didn't specify range)
TGFB1: 4120
HLA genes showed mold susceptible
MM9: 738
ADH: <8

I test negative for lyme on regular lyme tests, positive on igenex, negative on nano trap, and one strain on DNA connexions. Bart was negative and babesia.

Can c4a point towards anything other than mold? I am really confused because I just don't know what it is and what to address first. My doctor wants to treat mold but I can't even handle 2 pills without feeling terrible and I am supposed to work up to 6.

Also, can welchol or cam deplete nutrients and minerals?

*GG*

My recent labs showed:

I test negative for lyme on regular lyme tests, positive on igenex, negative on nano trap, and one strain on DNA connexions. Bart was negative and babesia.

Can c4a point towards anything other than mold? I am really confused because I just don't know what it is and what to address first. My doctor wants to treat mold but I can't even handle 2 pills without feeling terrible and I am supposed to work up to 6.

2 pills of what? My Dr treated my detox via cholestyramine (CSM) and chlorella.

GG

My recent labs showed:

C4a can indicate other inflammatory conditions (search PubMed and SelfHacked) but when combined with high TGFb1, positive HLA, low VEGF, low ADH and high MMP9 it strongly indicates CIRS. Whether this is CIRS-WDB (mold) or CIRS Lyme, or both can't be determined from those results.

Have you tested your home via ERMI?

Welchol is less likely to reduce vitamins/minerals compared to Cholestryamine but probably best to supplement with A, D, E, K, Co Q10 if not already.

fireflymd

My recent labs showed:

From my own experience I recommend you contact the lab center that drew your blood, to be sure your C4A was processed correctly.

The lab has to spin down the sample within a half hour of drawing your blood and then freeze it; it must then be shipped on dry ice to the specialty lab, National Jewish.

If they do not spin it down within half an hour and freeze it, and if they do not ship it out on dry ice, you may get a falsely elevated level. The longer it takes them to spin down the blood and freeze it, the higher the level becomes.

Some labs do not even keep dry ice at the drawing center, so the longer the blood is left unfrozen, the level will be turn out grossly inaccurate--falsely elevated. The dry ice keeps the sample frozen until it can be tested.

Since discovering the lab drawing center that took my blood did not have dry ice available when they sent my blood to the main lab resulting in a falsely elevated C4A, I think it's important to check for oneself. When it was repeated and done properly, my level was over 11,000 points lower, and I had not changed or done anything.

This enormous "decrease" would have led me to believe something was working, when in fact, I had not started any treatment. This was so discouraging to me, but I think it's important to know this test can really be screwed up so that you wind up with very high levels which may not be accurate.

My integrative doc insisted the elevated C4A means Lyme, but I have read it can mean mold biotoxins as well.

This was the only other thing I could find:

https://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/c4a-complement-component

Last edited: