1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What binders does everyone use while treating BIOFILMS

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by keenly, Sep 1, 2010.

1. keenly

keenly Senior Member

would alginate and modified citrus pectin be a good idea?

2. tymewarp#9

tymewarp#9

Central California
    -Just wondering the same thing..

3. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

What is biofilms? A binder I use for toxins is bentonite clay mixed with charcoal and flax seeds.

4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
  5. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    on the what are biofilms question, try typing Eve Sapi's name into google, and watch some of her stuff. Especially the film - blew me away.
    I think biofilm are the answer to much long term infection and inflamation, and are desperately understudied. They are everywhere in nature, and our classical picture of bacteria as solitary species or types does not seem true to the reality of the complex, multi-species aggregates they can form. Many dental infections or infections around implants etc have a biofilm component, making them very hard to eradicate, and setting the host up for long term infection and immune dysregulation.
    As for how best to deal with them, that is a BIG question. When you say binders, do you mean stuff to soak up toxins etc or do you mean specific substances to bind with specific substances? I often use fibre and charcoal tablets, and have used various fats, but I guess the real thing is not to do too much too fast and overload your detoxification systems.

6. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    What do you mean specifically by using fats for binders? Now that I recall, Ayurveda has used oil for detoxification.

7. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    I am probably using language quite imprecisely here - I was thinking about doing liver/gall bladder flushes to try and get rid of fat soluble neurotoxins, via phosholipid exchange using fats like phosphatidyl choline. Not exactly the same kind of process as biofilm.

See more popular forum discussions.