August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are your experiences with HBOT?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by helen1, Apr 9, 2015.

1. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Am considering hyperbaric oxygen therapy and wondering how people have fared with that. And whether you had positive or negative experiences, how do you explain those results?
    Thanks.

presently_distant likes this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Hi @helen1

I did a series of 12 HBOT treatments when living in Vancouver at a naturopath office.
    It did nothing for me one way or the other. At the time I was still able to get out but was moderately affected by ME.

helen1 likes this.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    There's not enough money in the world to get me into one of those. I was seeing a ND in Metro Vancouver who was more interested in getting me to do HBOT than she was in trying to find out why I had CFS. :(

helen1 likes this.
  4. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Honestly they are ridiculously over priced and don't seem to yield much benefit for the cost. I looked into it pretty intensely before, my LLMD has the machine at his office as well. It is not covered by insurance though and it was 3 thousand for like 10 or 12 sessions. That to me is WAY more then I can or am willing to afford, broke or not haha!

helen1 and presently_distant like this.
  5. presently_distant

presently_distant Everywhere and Nowhere

Denver, CO
    There's a chiropractor near me that does HBOT for $50 a session (not sure if he uses medical grade oxygen, though...). I tried it about a couple months ago and had a really weird reaction to it.

While inside the chamber I felt comfortable (I'm not the claustrophobic type), yet when the oxygen and pressure turned on I gradually felt like I was being "suffocated" by the oxygen...really weird feeling. About 10-15 minutes after I started it, I tapped out and for the next few days had what felt like a detox reaction...foggy vision, cognitive issues, etc. I never really had the desire to try it again.

Wayne and helen1 like this.
  6. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Senior Member

Hi @helen1 I am curious, did you get the HOT treatments?

7. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Yes, about 3 weeks worth, 5 days a week. I don't think they made a difference at least symptoms-wise.

8. Groggy Doggy

15 treatments is a lot of time and money spent for something that didn' improve your symptoms :(

9. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Caveat emptor (buyer beware). When a provider buys an expensive piece of equipment, it's got to be paid for. You (the patient) are the one who pays.

I can't see why it would have an effect on cfs/me.

10. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @Groggy Doggy @IreneF
    I did them in the hope that it would improve my immune system. HBOT stimulates stem cells production which then can improve immune function.

It's safe with no side effects unlike taking drugs or herbs so I was willing to give it a try.

ahmo likes this.
  11. Groggy Doggy

If HBOT stimulates stem cell production, then wouldn't you see the benefits over time? The reason I am asking, I had an adipose stem cell treatment about 7 months ago, and was told I would continue to see the benefits. I wonder, if in the future, we will sleeping in HBOT chambers on a nightly basis? There seems to be many benefits to HBOT, maybe we just havn't figured out the best 'formula' for each specific health issue.

12. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @Groggy Doggy Have you seen benefits with your stem cell treatment?

13. Groggy Doggy

Yes, I saw immediate benefits with the stem cell treatment. Shortly afterwards, I started ME treatments, so at this point its hard to say which treatments helped me to improve (or maybe it's a combination of both).

14. Rlman

Rlman Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    I did 5 treatments. I really warmed up in there after 45 min and it lasted for another 30 min after. Did anyone else feel warmer during the treatment session? @helen1

15. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    @Riman
    Yes about the heat, so I'd ask the attendant to turn down the temp :)

Rlman likes this.
  16. Rlman

Rlman Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    I did not know that they could adjust the temp inside the HBOT machine.

17. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    From what I understand there are different types of HBOT machines. Mine definitely had temp controls.
    @Riman

18. Down-but-not-out

Down-but-not-out

Hi Everyone. I have FM and have been looking desperately for a modality that could help. About 10 months ago I read about the Israeli/ Rice PLOS 1 and several other hyperbaric studies and there seemed to be real promise. I stumbled upon a local hospital that is looking to replicate the result and was successful in getting in on the study. It is an 8 week study with 40 sessions of 90 minutes 5 days a week at 2.4ATA. It commences the end of January. I will keep everyone updated.

redrachel76, helen1 and Effi like this.
  19. susank

susank

Texas
    I am researching this. Mild HBOT vs "regular" HBOT. My understanding is that one has to do the "dives" for several months to get benefits. Some folks purchase their own chambers and do daily dives. The home chambers are the "mild" lower pressure ones. Soft shell. I am seriously thinking about buying one. Yes, they are expensive. Some folks get together and rent or purchase a chamber and split the costs.

boohealth likes this.
  20. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

http://www.familyhealthnews.com/alt...n/oxygen-ozone/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy.html
    does anyone know or have a link why this HBOT isnt effective against anaerobic bacteria or how it can beat down aerobic ones (instead of fertilizing their grounds)?

also, has this been tested with worms (aerobic, i think)?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.