1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are titers?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by anniekim, Apr 18, 2011.

1. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Once again, sorry for my ignorance, but could someone please explain to me what are titers? Are titers the same as IgG antibodies, or are IgG antibodies and IgG titers two different things?

Many thanks in advance.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    A titer is a measurment of how much of something is there, or a "quantitative" test as we might say in a chemistry lab. They perform dilutions and see how many dilutions they can go through and still detect the antibody or whatever it is they are testing. Thus a titer result is displayed as 1:160, 1:640, or whatever... meaning they can find it in as small a dilution as one part in a 160 dilution (or whatever the second number is).

So an IgG titer is a measurment of how much IgG antibody they found.
  3. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks Willow, very helpful.

See more popular forum discussions.