May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are the lab tests used to help detect MCAS?

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Peyt, May 8, 2017.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi,
    Are there any lab tests or markers that can point to the possibility of MCAS?
    Thanks

2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Methyl-histamine, Prostaglandins (PG D2 and PG F2 Alpha), Tryptase, and many others. Some test are blood and others are urine. The blog/website "Mast Attack" lists all of them and is a very good resource.

Sancar, ukxmrv, justy and 2 others like this.
  3. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Do people with this condition generally have higher than normal histamine?
    The reason I ask is I actually was tested for histamine and my histamine is lower than normal. but
    the symptoms are close to what I have been suffering with.

Sancar likes this.
  4. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    My understanding is that there is great variation in symptoms and test results amongst patients with MCAS. At present, I remain in remission with no allergic reactions to food or smells yet my PG F2 Alpha test is in the thousands (and upper cut-off is around 200). My initial histamine test in Dec 2014 was 4x the normal limit but I did not develop acute symptoms until three months later. And there was yet another point that my tests had normalized with MCAS meds but my symptoms were still off the charts. So I have not found that test results always correlated with symptoms in my own case.

Sancar, justy and Peyt like this.
  5. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Is there a web site that shows a list of Doctors that have experience with this disease?

6. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Peyt are you in the US or another country?

7. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

Don't want to sound like a party pooper here guys, but it's largely pointless running histamine/tryptase unless you test it rapidly as in you need to have an attack in the hospital (supervised) or in the ER within 60 mins.

This is why it's hard to diagnose using 'accepted' general assays hospital use for more accepted conditions, because naturally few patients can have an 'agreement' that you turn up at 3.12am in your local emergency department in a MCAS episode and there's a kind lab team sitting waiting ready to process your sample just in case you turn up. Sure if you were dangerously ill and getting swelling they can't not believe you, but less obvious symptoms are less believed. (Dizzyness, SOB, pain).

It's so infuriating to be allergic to so many things, and just have allergic attacks out of nowhere (in bed) that is like being in a loft full of dust or worse, but not having and 'evidence' to show a doctor of what happens during these attacks to explain why you're flying around the room on vertigo, getting migraines, panic, nausea, terrible burning pain, asthma, watering eyes, itching, low BP, high BP, or far worse... maybe infuriating isn't the word, scary and dangerous is more accurate to be honest when this happens for years and no one cares to have you in hospital for observation, or lets you, on agreement you don't trigger MCAS.

Catch 22. I've had this before with meds. They claim you aren't allergic and putting it on, so you offer to come to hospital and take the drug that made you really sick and they say no, that's not safe because you might be allergic!

Sancar and justy like this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    This was not my experience and I think there must be great variation amongst patients. My first test was at OMI as part of routine blood testing (in 2014) and we were stunned when it showed blood histamine at 4x the normal limit b/c it was three months before I had my first allergic reaction to a yellow food dye.

Now I've been in remission (to the MCAS part of my illness, not to everything!) for 10 mos from IVIG so we tested prostaglandin levels on a random date (right before my IVIG at infusion center in March 2017) expecting them to be normal but both were elevated. One (PG D2) was only about 20 points above the upper range but the PG F2 Alpha was in the thousands and upper range about 200. We were very surprised b/c am no longer having allergic reactions to food or smells.

For me the numbers do not correlate with the symptoms b/c my tests before I started IVIG (when I was still quite symptomatic and taking 7-8 MCAS meds just to eat food) were all on the high end of "normal".

Sancar likes this.
  9. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

US

10. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Sancar and Peyt like this.
  11. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    While tests are available that may point to an MCAS diagnosis they are not necessarily conclusive, Many people with MCAS show no elevated markers, some only show elevated when in a reaction, and then there is the issue of labs not knowing how to handle and store samples correctly.

A good Dr with knowledge of MCAS would diagnose clinically not just based on test results. For a full discussion of MCAS I suggest Dr Afrin's excellent book Never Bet Against Occam.

Anne and Sancar like this.

See more popular forum discussions.