• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are symptoms of inflammation of oxidative stress?

anniekim

On this thread I read people referring to having more symptoms of inflammation and oxidative stress after following certain protocols etc.

May I ask what are symptoms of inflammation and oxidative stress? As someone with m.e I have the usual daily malaise, muscle pain, nerve pain and so on. With his in mind how do I establish what are symptoms of oxidative stress and inflammation. Manu thanks in advance

Vegas

I think you hit on some of them, the myalgia and the malaise that many people feel after exertion. Post-exertional-fatigue is largely an inflammatory response and obviously a protective one. (pain as a deterrent to inflicting further damage) Headaches are of course multifactorial, but I can correlate many headaches to pushing too hard. Later on, post-methylation, I would learn about sulfite headaches and other headaches associated with detoxing. For the longest time I would have very bad eye pain the day after a particularly rigorous work out. (before I crashed) Perhaps because of the sensitivity of the retinal tissue to oxidative stress...or something like that. I get paresthesia in my hands that comes and goes with the overexertion, also burning of the eyes (which also happens to be a detox symptom). Another feature is brain fog...a milder form of brain fog than would be associated with moving metals. I also found that food allergies would cause a very similar inflammatory response (fuzzy head), with the assumption that there was some vasodilation in microvasculature of the brain. I would guess that for most people the brain fog, headaches, & muscle aches are the most common features. When you push beyond these thresholds you start getting more of the malaise, flu-like feeling, and then you start to get some chronic inflammatory symptoms. For me it was my eyes that ached for weeks. Same thing I had dealt with episodically for years, but this time I couldn't suppress the inflammation. I had mild to mod symptoms for years before this time 2 years ago.

Neuropathic pain has never been a feature of my condition.

PS. Dr. Deth has a great article that I read sometime last year that talks about methylation and specifically discusses the inflammatory response. Perhaps Rich knows which one I am speaking of. I cannot find this anymore, but it is a good read.

I'm so glad to see this post anniekim as I have just been wondering this same thing...
I started a 30-day H202 treatment protocol about 9 days ago - it starts w/ a tiny amount and has a slow scheduled increase over 30 days, however I have not even been able to keep up w/ the recommended schedule for chronic illness (not specifically ME/CFS).
It has had some definite (likely short-term) benefits, most noticeably an increase in 'energy'. For me this is huge, as my complete absence of anything even remotely resembling 'energy' has at times been as (or more) disabling as my pain and other illness symptoms.
Or so I thought (??) .... this 'energy' seems to function long-term as more of an artificial stimulant, even though it is just extra oxygen, not a 'drug' - so I'm wondering if this could be at least partly because of oxidative stress. But I'm not sure how to know, since my everyday 'normal' symptoms are so similar to the symptoms I've read for oxidative stress.
I'm also in a period of significant neurological decline - brain fog, dementia, or whatever you want to call it - and cannot properly comprehend any real scientific reading and research, and pretty much completely rely on forums like this where other patients (thankfully) explain this science, or at least summarize it, in understandable terms. (Like Vegas' post above - thank you)
So, like anniekim, I would also appreciate any information on the signs and/or dangers of oxidative stress. The H202 for me was a huge improvement almost immediately (in mood and energy mostly) - very strange in itself. As the days pass it seems like I'm beginning to physically crash, like I've done more than my body could take (even though I thought I was being careful about that, intentionally pacing my time 'up' doing anything at all). But am I crashing? - or is this symptoms of oxidative stress - or pathogen die-off? ?? I really have no idea yet, and would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this.
Thank you in advance for ANY relevant information...
Also - I'm quite new to this forum (although I've been reading it for months) - and if I have posted this incorrectly I apologize - I of course don't mean to 'steal' anniekim's post, so please feel free anyone to correct me about this. I've been pretty obsessively researching treatments and completely skipped any kind of forum rules section... I should start with that I guess :)
Thanks! Lisa

Sorry about my above post - I can't even read it myself! I'll be sure to space things out better from now on.
Thanks again,
Lisa

anniekim

Thanks Vegas and lisann for your replies. Glad lisann my post has raised questions you are seeking answers for too