Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are some natural supplements for POTS?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Peyt, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know of any natural supplements that can help reduce heart rate in POTS?
    I know Magnesium already, but wanted to find some other alternatives. Thanks

2. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    I take a lot of supplements prescribed by knowledgeable doctors and the only thing that helps in any way is Carditone by Ayudh Herbs, which lowers by BP, which goes up significantly when I sit or stand.

The CellTrend test can identify adrenergic antibodies which may cause it. EBV and other viruses can cause them. Reversing those and getting to the root cause is best, but expensive and inconvenient.:rolleyes:

sb4 and echobravo like this.
  3. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

I don't have high blood pressure,
    My main problem is faster than normal heart rate. And I do get low blood pressure at times.

4. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    There are interventions that can help low blood pressure, too.

But still, getting to the root of it is the way to go, otherwise you're just managing miserable symptoms.

5. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I started using schizandra tea last year. Seems to help low BP.

echobravo likes this.
  6. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Senior Member

Licorice root

Gaia makes liquid formula that's alcohol free

lafarfelue and cyclamen like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It's a bad idea to slow your heart rate down if it's caused by low blood pressure. In that case the increased heart rate is compensating for low blood pressure, and helping to circulate blood. So lowering your heart rate without dealing with the low blood pressure might cause bigger problems.

Helen, Snowdrop, sb4 and 7 others like this.
  8. adreno

adreno PR activist

@Peyt

Anything cholinergic should lower heart rate, if you are decided to try this out.

cyclamen likes this.
  9. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    Maybe an obvious one, but increasing salt intake. I'm on desmopressin and take salt tablets.

10. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    Like some have mentioned, increasing sodium and fluid intake + other electrolytes.

I sometimes take DGL instead of pure licorice, it still has enough of the active ingredient in it to improve my OI / POTS.

Lowering inflammation really improves my OI, when there's little or no inflammation i feel much better. With inflammation my veins swell up and blood starts pooling in hands and feet.

11. echobravo

echobravo Keep searching, the answer is out there

Norway
    It is my understanding that over time increased output of cortisol (stressors like pain, being sick, emotions e.g. loneliness, PTSD etc) might contribute to many of these problems related to orthostatic intolerance (blood pressure regulation, vasodilation), low blood sugar issues (waking up 04 with heartbeat and high pulse), thyroid down regulation (switch to reverse T3 over T3 production), anxiety (fight & flight, sympathic nervous system activation), lower back pain/tension/anxiety, adrenal hormone depletion (cortisol grabs most of the pregnenolone and less goes to DHEA, dopamin, testosteron etc, hence rendering you with increased risk of tissue damage, depression, low libido aso).

Relora, tyrosine, theanine, vit C, phosphatidyl serine, GABA, pregnenolone, adaptogens - might contribute to balancing the adrenals and reducing cortisol - as will any lifestyle interventions that reduce stress (walks & movement, yoga, meditation, nature, connection, blue-blocking, sleep aso).

Any earlier trauma - childhood, losses, PTSD, injuries - might be sources of excess cortisol also (amygdala, the fear centre (?)).

PS! I used ZRT labs to measure adrenal hormones. Will also try to have my DHEA and cortisol tested during the course of one day (spit test, 4 times).

sb4 likes this.
  12. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

I have been reading about this but my Blood plasma sodium levels show higher than normal on the lab tests, so not sure if it's a good idea for me to increase my sodium intake. I take magnesium but still sodium is higher than normal.

sb4 and Diwi9 like this.
  13. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

BTW, Licoric and DLG make me extremely sick. It messes with my adrenals so I don't want to take them.

14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    The high cortisol theory doesn't work with CFS and ME as many of us have low cortisol. I've had my levels tested by bloods and saliva and cortisol is consistently low.

Snowdrop, bertiedog, Orla and 2 others like this.
  15. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Look into Dr Lonsdale and Thiamine.

sb4 likes this.
  16. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    That's interesting, I supplement and still come in low-normal for sodium. Is it possible to find a potassium salt as a substitute? I realize that potassium can be a problem for some people too...

17. cyclamen

cyclamen

Yes, there are special salts containing potassium along with sodium. For example the pan salt from Finnland.

Diwi9 likes this.
  18. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I use "No Salt". Found it at the grocery store.

I mix it with sea salt.

cyclamen and Diwi9 like this.
  19. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I have heard the natural midodrine: butchers broom.
    I do well on lechitin which I read do god for POTs.

20. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Things that significantly helped me:
    -Mirtazapine
    -Thiamine
    -Helminthic Therapy / TUDCA

Lots of smaller things as well that I forget (mg, etc).

Thing is, I think that POTS type/symptoms vary significantly between people and treatment needs to be cated to this.

pamojja and keenly like this.

See more popular forum discussions.