Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are some alternative herbs and supplements that can help a fatty liver?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Peyt, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Has anyone been able to help improve fatty liver with herbs and supplements?
    If yes, can you name a few?
    I tried

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I believe choline is a big one.

Peyt likes this.
  3. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

merylg and Peyt like this.
  4. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Choline is a big one, but the dilemma I have is that Choline supplements are generally made in fat such as Sunflower oil or other fatty substances, and having fatty liver makes it difficult to digest... I tried sunflower lecithin for a month and gained 6 lbs. I tried several other brands with same results.... The only thing I can think of is Choline in a form of IV

5. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Have you tried choline citrate? It's just a powder and dissolves easily in water.

6. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @Peyt - I don't know anything about fatty liver disease, but here are a couple of articles which might be helpful. Years ago I had an inflamed gallbladder and had difficulty digesting fat and proteins like meat. I ended up having to do a liver detox and started taking betaine HCL with meals. My chiropractor who does muscle testing helped me with all of this.

So since you say have trouble digesting fat because of your liver, some of the same things may help you that helped me. Also below are links to some Standard Process products which helped me, and one of them is choline, not made with fat.

http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/importance-of-bile-acid/
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/11/11/non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease.aspx

https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Choline#.VuyRefD2bcs
    https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/A-F-Betafood#.VuySj_D2bcu
    https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Cholacol-II#.VuySqvD2bcs

7. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Can you please recommend a brand?
    Besides fat, I don't do well with any form of alcohol or glycerin either. So it needs to not have any alcohol in it.

8. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Thanks so much for posting the articles... I will ask my Dr. about Berberine and Vitamin E when I see him next week. The Choline from standard process won't work for me because it has calcium in it and I don't do well with any supplements that have calcium... thanks for posting though.

Mary likes this.
  9. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I've used this and this. The powder is easier to deal with than the liquid.

Peyt likes this.
  10. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    chanca piedra...good for kidney, liver, gall bladder.

11. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Caffeine can help.

12. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Tammy and Peyt like this.
  13. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi Again,
    I got my Choline Citrate today from SNS. Any idea what is the suggested daily dosage?
    It says 1 scoop is 1000mg. but the scoop is pretty tiny.

14. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I believe it's a scoop once or twice daily.

Peyt likes this.
  15. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Just wanted to give a report back. After 1 week of usage here are the benefits I have noticed by using 2-3 scoops of Choline Citrate:
    1. Less agitation
    2. Less sugar cravings
    3. My rapid heart rate which is usually around 100-103 is now lowered to 90-93

I have not experienced any negative side effects..
    I spread the dosage through out the day.. 1 scoop in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening.
    Thanks so much for this recommendation.

halcyon likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.