Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are seminal studies in ME research?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by JaimeS, Jul 11, 2017.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    It's all over but the screaming, lol. Just working on the references section!

2. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I hate to mention it, but would a section on the bits of the most transparent BPS stuff be appropriate?
    I.E. the stuff that is a hair away from 'they're all making it up'.

Skycloud and JaimeS like this.
  3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

I think the section on PACE ends up covering this sort of thing well. No emphasis on "most transparently made up stuff" necessary. It all looks very bad when you state it plainly.

I was talking to another researcher on our team this evening, Rahim E. (who is working on the chip). I had just waded through all the citations for PACE because, as I put it "it's done so badly and has so many flaws that it's hard to believe unless you cite over... and over... and over again."

It took an hour and a half just to write all the citations for PACE. Admittedly I work more slowly than a well person.

Countrygirl, Snowdrop, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Realized at the 11th hour that I'm missing some of the better stuff for autoantibodies.

I've got:

Loebel M, Grabowski P, Heidecke H, Bauer S, Hanitsch LG, Wittke K, Meisel C, Reinke P, Volk HD, Fluge Ø, Mella O, Scheibenbogen C. (2016 Feb). Antibodies to β adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Brain Behav Immun. 52: 32-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2015.09.013. Epub 2015 Sep 21. PubMed PMID: 26399744.

Maes, M., Ringel, K., Kubera, M., Anderson, G., Morris, G., Galecki, P., Geffard, M. (2013). In myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, increased autoimmune activity against 5-HT is associated with immuno-inflammatory pathways and bacterial translocation. Journal of Affective Disorders, 150(2):223-30.

and the Tanaka, although I see some issues with it and have pointed them out:

Tanaka S, Kuratsune H, Hidaka Y, Hakariya Y, Tatsumi KI, Takano T, Kanakura Y, Amino N. (2003 Aug). Autoantibodies against muscarinic cholinergic receptor in chronic fatigue syndrome. Int J Mol Med,12(2):225-30. PubMed PMID: 12851722.

Any good ones on this I'm missing?

-J

Countrygirl likes this.
  5. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

I did not know about these effects, i suspect i will be learning quite a bit from your efforts :)

JaimeS likes this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Whelp, I finished very late last night and sent out to the group! Thank you for all your help, guys. I will probably post as a blog post soon, or on whatever outlet is most sensible.

I already found three typos, of course. That's the type of thing you only ever discover after you hit 'send' . ;)

happy, Countrygirl, Joh and 5 others like this.
  7. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

LOL!!! :woot:
    i think this should be a future studied way of diagnosing ME/CFS, our unique brain malfunctions of which there are a few

Isaiah 58:11 and JaimeS like this.
  8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Heh! I think in a document with this many images in it, I'm lucky that this didn't happen.

[​IMG]

....oh wait, it did. Every time. ;)

9. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    ahimsa, Aroa, JaimeS and 1 other person like this.
  10. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

I think the 2015 applies to the IOM report; it's just the first document listed.

Looks like the formatting went a little strange; I swear, mine was prettier. ;)

Also, there is a much longer version with sections by body system. I hope to be able to turn those sections into articles hosted on #MEAction, and on OMF if that's the sort of content they want there.

MEMum, ahimsa, Molly98 and 4 others like this.
  11. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Sounds awesome! Is that longer version also available online?

MEMum, Molly98, Aroa and 1 other person like this.
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Not yet, but I hope it will be, soon.

-J

MEMum, Philipp, RogerBlack and 5 others like this.
  13. thegodofpleasure

thegodofpleasure Player in a Greek Tragedy

Matlock, Derbyshire, Uk
    Countrygirl, JaimeS and Helen like this.
  14. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Indeed.

And I would have, but the link says "Anonymous User", so I didn't now who you were.

So I certainly wasn't intentionally not crediting you @thegodofpleasure.

In fact, I subsequently commented:

"Not a chance - I was pointed to it yesterday by another Millions Missing Canada volunteer - so I'm not sure who, other than 'anonymous user' compiles and keeps it updated - but bless their soul."

15. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

I'd love to be able to put you into the bibliography @thegodofpleasure -- it was a really phenomenal piece of work, and I'm indebted to you for producing it.

-J

[Edit: feel free to PM me with information so that I can!]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  16. thegodofpleasure

thegodofpleasure Player in a Greek Tragedy

Matlock, Derbyshire, Uk
    Thank you @ScottTriGuy

That cloud location isn't where I posted the document I created, it's a copy - but I don't mind.

I post my updates here: https://app.box.com/s/9s4coexxtys5bnz33i6gvqqygu67ex5o and the items highlighted in green are the most recent additions to the list

17. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
  18. shannah

shannah Senior Member

I've shared your documents online and also with my physician @thegodofpleasure but have never known who the author was until now.
    You've done a phenomenal work. Thank you so much!

19. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

@thegodofpleasure has sent me his info, and I will put his name into our bibliography. As I let him know, I do believe I linked to his doc at some point in the longer version, as well? If so, now I can cite it properly, and will add to the biblography either way, since I consulted it often to create the doc.

20. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    Hi @thegodofpleasure, great document, thank you for your work, very appreciated! :trophy::bouquet::nerd:

I couldn't find a name either in the document, but if I'm going to share it I'll look up how to cite you in Jamie's document. My question is: Would you prefer to be asked before we share it?

thegodofpleasure and Aroa like this.

See more popular forum discussions.