The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are seminal studies in ME research?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by JaimeS, Jul 11, 2017.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Hello, all! I am curating a small collection of the best / most interesting ME/CFS studies to make an informative packet regarding what we know about ME/CFS. Each will have a small commentary, so consider poorly-performed studies that have had an impact on the ME/CFS landscape, such as PACE.

From the quick article / intro to ME/CFS I wrote as a blog post awhile back:

FLUGE AND MELLA 2016; ARMSTRONG ET AL, 2016; ARMSTRONG ET Al, 2015

Recent research from Fluge and Mella in Norway, and Christopher Armstrong of Australia have identified errors in cellular energy metabolism in ME patients that differs from sedentary controls. Reduced glyolysis, accompanying high blood glucose, and metabolites that demonstrate a marked uptick in mitochondrial activity in response have been documented. Other energy-producing reactions’ metabolites were elevated, which may indicate compensatory energy metabolic mechanisms in people with ME. Women’s amino acid stores in particular are being utilized in place of glucose, and are decreased in comparison to that of healthy controls. Women’s diet showed no difference in protein intake than in controls.

Further analysis by Fluge and Mella impicated PDH inhibitors as a mechanism for decreased glycolysis.

Finally, bathing culture-grown cells in ME patients’ serum caused them to exhibit the same metabolic abormalities as patients’ cells.

HANSEN ET AL., 2016

Hansen of Cornell as well as researchers from the University of Melbourne have confirmed an older study’s results showing that ME patients have gut bacteria that is not just different from controls, but different in a predictable manner, with Firmicutes and Bacterioides off. Using a machine-learning approach, the Melbourne team was able to identify the right patient utilizing a sample of their gut bacteria over 80% of the time.

HORNIG ET AL, 2015:

Mady Hornig and her team at Columbia University discovered a pattern of upregulated inflammatory and anti-inflammatory markers in early ME (first three years after onset) all of which were inverted in late ME (over three years after onset). Long-term patients’ immune markers were lower even than those of controls.

Dysregulated immune markers included IL-12p40, IL-12p70, IFN-gamma, TNF-alpha, and GM-CSF (CSF2). The marked involvement of interferon-gamma points to an initial infective trigger, as it is the product of activated T-cells, natural killer cells, and macrophages.

Hornig’s study, besides pointing to a future blood test for ME, is the first to identify a two-stage illness, with an acute phase and a chronic phase.

NEWTON ET AL, 2015:

Julie Newton and her team discovered that muscle cells of patients with ME had increased myogenin expression but decreased IL-6 secretion in comparison to controls and, when an electrical pulse was sent through the tissue to simulate exercise, muscle cells of ME patients demonstrated impaired AMPK activation and impaired uptake of glucose. Cells responded normally to insulin.

FLUGE AND MELLA:

Fluge and Mella found that the anti-cancer drug Rituximab caused complete remission in a significant percentage of ME patients.

Other suggestions?

[Edit: changed first Fluge and Mella citation to 2016 -- it came out in December of 2016. I had it as a 2017 article.]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 12:30 PM
    concepcion, rosie26, Webdog and 21 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Can patients with chronic fatigue syndrome really recover after graded exercise or cognitive behavioural therapy? A critical commentary and preliminary re-analysis of the PACE trial
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2017.1259724?journalCode=rftg20

Beyond Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Redefining an Illness
    http://iom.nationalacademies.org/Reports/2015/ME-CFS.aspx

A community-based study of chronic fatigue syndrome.
    I believe this was the first large random sample population study which showed that many patients were undiagnosed, it wasn't a white middle class woman's illness, and that about 0.4% of the population had it.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10527290

Forbin, Demepivo, Mary and 4 others like this.
  3. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk

Germany
    Barry53 and JaimeS like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Thanks @A.B. -- for sure, if we include a single community-based study it should be that Jason one.

IOM is so huge, but we should probably have that, along with the CCC.

Barry53 likes this.
  5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Barry53 likes this.
  6. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    Bookmarked this thread :) too tired right to think of additions

Although what about

1: Light AR, White AT, Hughen RW, Light KC. Moderate exercise increases
    expression for sensory, adrenergic, and immune genes in chronic fatigue syndrome
    patients but not in normal subjects. J Pain. 2009 Oct;10(10):1099-112. doi:
    10.1016/j.jpain.2009.06.003. Epub 2009 Jul 31. PubMed PMID: 19647494; PubMed
    Central PMCID: PMC2757484.

I think the 2009 one is what I'm thinking of

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Forbin, wigglethemouse, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Vexacious, thy name is PACE

Toronto
    Forbin, Webdog, Mark and 3 others like this.
  8. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk

Germany
    This is very interesting. I have dry and red eyes for several years now and it only occurred recently to me that it might be part of CFS. It always got worse with Vitamin D and/or calcium supplements over several weeks, so I suspect there might be connection as well.

Snowdrop and JaimeS like this.
  9. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Yes, absolutely!

Snowdrop likes this.
  10. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Did they tested you for Sonjern syndrome? The right way with biopsy!

11. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  13. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk

Germany
    @lnester7 I never heard of Sonjern Syndrome, but it sounds similar to Sjögren Syndrome, which was tested in a blood test (came back negative).

14. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member

15. denmarkk

denmarkk

Maryland, USA
    So many from Leonard Jason. Too many to pick from, but here's three that stand out to me.

A Prospective Study of Infectious Mononucleosis in College Students
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Infectious_Mononucleosis_in_college_students

Estimating the disease burden of ME/CFS in the United States and its relation to research funding https://oatext.com/Estimating-the-d...ates-and-its-relation-to-research-funding.php

Mortality in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2016.1236588?journalCode=rftg20

Good luck with your project!

16. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    MEMum, arewenearlythereyet and JaimeS like this.
  17. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Not a chance - I was pointed to it yesterday by another Millions Missing Canada volunteer - so I'm not sure who, other than 'anonymous user' compiles and keeps it updated - but bless their soul.

Jenny TipsforME, MEMum, AdamS and 4 others like this.
  18. Helen

Helen Senior Member

19. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    Has anyone mentioned the two day CPET?

20. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

This is important, but I'm not sure which studies could be called seminal.

MEMum likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.