• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what are my chances of getting DLA?

snowathlete

after a battle that went on for about two years i recently (a few months ago) got put in the support group for ESA.
I have been putting off applying for DLA all this time because ive spent all my energy on fighting the ESA battle. I dont think i can face the same again, i think itwill kill me.
So either this will be easy now im in the support group and i will apply, or it will be difficult still because they will give me a medical and reject me and pretend im fine like they did last time and, i just cant go through that all again. So, maybe its not worth it.

What do you think?

I think it is definitely worth applying. My first attempt was rejected but I insisted on an appeal in my own home which I won. I have re-applied last year and have been granted it again. I have also appealed the time period that I have to complete the ESA form and this has been extended to once every 2 years. I believe the key is a methodical approach and that the following are key points that will help you succeed.
1. A sympathetic G.P - very difficult to legislate for! But I have insisted on home visits from day one even though I realise there is nothing they can offer it is still noted on your record. I also requested a walking stick and push style wheelchair from the NHS - again all strengthens your claim - in fact I got a higher rate this time.
2. I accepted any NHS "treatment" that may be offered (not pharmaceutical) even if abandoned later - again this appears to act in your favour and gives you more to fill in on the form. I found a diagnosis of severe CFS/M.E very helpful for the form.
3. Fill in the form as if you are the absolute worse you have ever been - this is essential as if you rely on discretion or common sense you will be rejected.
4. If possible some form of advocate is useful - I have my father act as enduring power of attorney and this really seems to be another point in "proving" you are as ill as we know we are.

This seems a little clinical and cynical but I have found until we are afforded the dignity and understanding we deserve we have in someways to play the same game as ATOS et al.

Hope this is of some help