• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are good adjunctive therapies to protect against the adverse effects of antibiotics?

echobravo

Keep searching, the answer is out there
I must admit I have become more sceptical of probiotics, though I have used them a lot. Some claim that ingested probiotics might dispel some of your own commensal gut bacteria.

Maybe ask Ken Lassessen, he studies biotas a lot, through uBiome testing.

My best bet would be to try to create an intestinal milieu during the antibiotics (and after) that is a very poor growth environment for pathogens. So, things like keeping it acidic (vitamin c etc as suggested by Dr Myhill), anti-microbials and anti-fungals - I like olive leaf extract (East Park brand is good). A crucial step is to not feed the dysbiotic bacteria or candida - so stay low on carbs, sugars, starches. And dont forget to feed your commensal bacteria, maybe check Lassessen’s site for ideas (resistant starch?).

Trying to maintain the anaerob milieu in the colon is important, so anything that keeps your anaerob species alive should be good. However, I know little of what that might be..

Edit; Here is an interesting paper "The gut microbiota and host health: a new clinical frontier"

http://gut.bmj.com/content/65/2/330

They also mention polyphenols as a way to increase the important lactobacilli and bifidobacteria.

"Polyphenols are a diverse class of plant secondary metabolites, often associated with the colour, taste and defence mechanisms of fruit and vegetables. They have long been studied as the most likely class of compounds present in whole plant foods capable of affecting physiological processes that protect against chronic diet-associated diseases. The gut microbiota plays a critical role in transforming dietary polyphenols into absorbable biologically active species, acting on the estimated 95% of dietary polyphenols which reach the colon.21 Recent studies show that dietary intervention with polyphenol extracts, most notably dealcoholised red wine polyphenol extract and cocoa-derived flavanols, modulate the human gut microbiota towards a more ‘health-promoting profile’ by increasing the relative abundance of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli. These data again raise the possibility that certain functional foods tap into the underlying ecological processes regulating gut microbiome community structure and function, contributing to the health of the gut microbiota and its host.

Last edited: